Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
torpesco
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Simulator works; can't run app (BB10 10.0.9.386)

[Apologies if there's another thread dealing with this specifically, but I can't find one - aside from this one with a non-descriptive subject.]

I recently set up the beta 3 dev environment on my Mac (after uninstalling the previous one I hadn't had a chance to really use). The similator seems to be running well. The browser works, and I can telnet in (though I get 'permission denied' for ssh).

However, when I try to configure the development environment, it fails to connect. All I'm trying to run is a basic Cascades project -- the default "hello world" one that gets created when you create a new project.

• Simulator NIC in NAT-mode:
    • Can telnet to IP address in lower-left; simulator's browser works fine
    • Auto-discover detects the simulator, but connecting fails
    • Didn't get an error when uploading debug token to simulator, but the status stayed at something like "not installed or date in the future"
  • Simulator NIC in bridged mode
    • Can telnet to IP address in lower-left; simulator's browser works fine
    • Auto-discover does not detect the simulator, but manually entering the IP address works
    • Uploading the debug token did work
    • Trying to run the program first gives me the error "A network error occurred while communicating with the target.  Possibly due to the device's 10 second backoff period since last connection, please try again."
    • Trying again gives me: "Unable to connect.  Ensure USB cable or Wi-Fi is connected, IP address is correct, and development mode is enabled."
    • After forcing a reboot (where's the reset option in the simulator?), the debug token isn't found by the target config, but uploading again it seems to work.
    • The target always has "(not connected)" beside it in the Run Configuration dialog.

I'm using VMware Fusion 5 on OS X 10.8.2.

I tried enabling the option in VMware to allow the VM to use profiling hooks, but the simulator wouldn't launch, so I disabled it again.

On the simulator, developer mode is on, but shows an IP address of "169.254.0.1". The troubleshooting doc says if this is the case, try disabling and re-enabling the adapter. That does nothing (and restarting does nothing), and this address appears to be configurable within 169.254.0.0/16 -- it doesn't appear to be run-time status info. "About > Network" shows the correct IPv4 address.

I have set a device password. Do the "Storage & Access" settings have any effect? (I did change them to match what I use on my PlayBook, and I can copy files over via Finder.)

I'm at a loss. Really wish the local BB Jam hadn't been while I was away on vacation. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Developer
torpesco

Re: Simulator works; can't run app (BB10 10.0.9.386)

[ Edited ]

Ok, how do I delete this question?

Somehow in going through the "Create your first project" steps, I missed the instructions on selecting the build target, and had left it at the default, which obviously won't work on the simulator.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ervinn
My Device: Not Specified

Don't delete the question.

It helped me. I had the same issue. I almost gave up.

It may help others.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ervinn
My Device: Not Specified

The error message "Unable to connect. Ensure USB cable or Wi-Fi is connected, IP address is correct, and development mode is enabled." was not very descriptive and helpful.
Please use plain text.
Developer
torpesco

ervinn wrote:

Don't delete the question.

It helped me. I had the same issue. I almost gave up.

It may help others.

Thanks

Glad I'm not the only one!

Please use plain text.