Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
mmarion
My Device: Z10

Re: Slow debug startup

My phone's on 10.2 as well and I was also building for 10.1.  Building for 10.2 I get the exact same thing.  I've been talking to some folk in the background and version conflict or lack of macthing debugging symbol files are likely the case but I'm trying to figure out how and why.  This has been happening for me over several versions now.

Very odd.

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Just to add more confusion, I have 10.1 and 10.2.1 devices one with debug symbols the 10.2.1 one without, both start up in under 20 seconds.
No matter whether I build for 10.1 or 10.2 the start-up time is the same.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

For me it started several SDK versions ago. I do realize that many people have the same version as I do and do not experience this problem.

Unfortunately I don't know how to approach troubleshooting of this problem thus I just gave up and most of my debugging now is 'lots of qDebug()', in rare cases when I really need to step through my code I wait for 2+ minutes for debugging session to start.

Developer
mmarion

I wait every single time and it drives me up the wall, lol.

It'd be nice to have others that are experiencing this chime in.  There must be others.  The more folk that chime in, the more likley a pattern is found.

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Out of the box thinking but are you using USB3 ports?
It could be a driver incompatibility.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

All we need is somebody who understands what's going on under the hood when you hit Debug.

Developer
mmarion

It would be nice to know the process that happens when debug is hit.  I think it's just a remote gdb session under the hood.

USB ports I've used are all USB2 as far as I know I've never tried a USB3 port.

Also of note and an important point:

The app launches or is launched by the app launcher quickly, within a few seconds.  It then sits with a blank background and this is where the large delay occurs.  So it's not the connection to the phone.

There are no indications that anything is happening while I wait other than the red warnings that pop up that folk have said to ignore.  To me it feels almost like a network or file read timeout.

Developer
mmarion

Note from the API level docs:

API levels are forward compatible with later BlackBerry 10 OS versions, which means that you can debug your application on multiple devices without having to change the APIs that your application builds against. You can run applications that are developed with a lower API level on devices that support a higher API level.

New Contributor
robtf
My Device: 8310

I have exactly this problem! When I had the 10.1 NDK installed everything was fine but since I came back to BB development with 10.2 it is dog slow..

The initial automatic breakpoint on main() is hit within a few seconds, but after clicking "Run" to resume the app the wait is painful (> 1 minute whist it does its thing) before I get to the UI.

Developer
Developer
a-m

I also have to wait minutes before debugging starts (with black screen etc.). I also don't know why but it was always like this.