Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
Stephen_Hard
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha B

Slow deploy/download/install to Simulator *SOLUTION*

[ Edited ]

I see an awful lot of threads complaining that deploying programs to the simulator is ridiculously slow for them. It mostly hits users who develop on machines without active network connections.

Want to make your 'deploy to simulator' time drop from 2+ minutes down to something sub 4 seconds?  The problem you are seeing is caused by known bugs in windows (etc) and vmware being daft. I can explain what the bugs are if you are curious. The RIM designers did nothing wrong.

Easy Fix:
At the top of your simulator; open the /Virtual Machine/ drop down menu.
Open the /Virtual Machine Settings/ dialog box.
Select /Network Adapter/ on the left.
On the right change the network connection from /NAT/ to /Host-only/.
Click /ok/.

Reboot your whole computer (quick way to ensure it doesn't get any more confused!).

When your computer comes back and you restart the simulator you will probably find that the IP address of the simulator  is now different. You may need to change the target IP address in the IDE (otherwise installs/deploys will fail as they would be sent to the old address). A mod can best tell you how to do this.

You have certainly lost perfectly good developers to this problem. Wiping out up to 2 minutes of delay each time you change your code is a very worthwhile win. If your simulator install speed is slow: follow my fix!

Stephen Hard.

New Developer
Stephen_Hard

Re: Slow deploy/download/install to Simulator *SOLUTION*

[ Edited ]

I referred to other threads but neglected to give any links. Here are some examples:

Very Slow Deployment on WMware Playbook Simulator
Slow to download application to simulator
blackberry-deploy install request taking too long

The thread posters appear to receive no workable solution, find the problem too flustering and presumably give up on the platform. When I encountered the problem, my searches found threads such as those and I nearly strolled off too. I expect that is common. Luckily I remembered logging the reason behind this issue as bug reports against vmware, windows and linux back when vmware was brand new! Linux was the only one that ever got (partly) fixed!

The time it takes to make a change and re-test a program has a big effect on a programmers effectiveness. Changing the walking speed of a single character many times to get it right can require a new deploy each time to test, and it adds up to an eternity.

If the new BB10 stuff can also be developed on the simulator then it would be well worth a mod integrating my fix into the original install instructions. It's just a suggestion.

Stephen Hard

BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

Thanks for the very detailed post!

Myself and others inside RIM have been unable to reproduce the slow deploy issue.  I normally deploy an application to my simulator in under 2-3 seconds using the default NAT option for networking.   Can you PM me the details of the bugs so we can reproduce this? 

New Developer
Stephen_Hard

[ Edited ]

Done.

Good Luck.

New Contributor
Tworas
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Done everything according to your instructions. But how to get the IP, which connects to the IDE?

Because, in the VM shows me all the time "Geting IP". 

New Developer
Stephen_Hard

[ Edited ]

I see you have written in another thread that you solved this using my method, but you didn't record how you sorted the IP address, so I'll try to answer here anyway.

Two Simple Steps to update the IP Address (hopefully):

1, Learn the Address of the simulated device:

When the (playbook) simulator is running correctly in developer mode, there should be some icons on the top row of the simulated machine. To the right of centre there should be one that looks like a person with a cog on their chest. Click on this and it should show you a clearly labeled IP address. Perhaps 192.168.13.129  Write that number down on a piece of paper.

Thats for the playbook anyway. Other devices may have the IP address hidden elsewhere.

2, Set the Address in the IDE:

I don't use the IDE so I am a bit vague. On the left of the standard IDE I see a bunch of filenames. In the list, but below the filenames, is an entry called 'sim (localhost)'. I right click on that and I see a well labeled field in which I can type the IP address I wrote down. I click Apply and Ok and it works.

If you don't see the 'sim' entry in the IDE, maybe you need to use the menus at the top of the IDE to make it appear.

Select the drop-down menu /window/

Choose entry /show view/

And specify /target navigator/.

Stephen Hard

New Contributor
Freyr
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Simulator

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I got the same issue of simulator always showing "Getting IP" on the ip area. This problem just happened suddently, a minute ago I was debug my app, and I modified some code and found I cannot connect to the simulator anymore..

Then I found this thread, tried change NetWork setting from 'NAT' to 'LocalHost' and restarted whole Windows. But the problem still unresolved.

So I uninstall the simulator, then reinstall it again to a different folder, after that it still showing "Getting IP".. :No:

In the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Simulator there isn't a top row icons, and I still cann't connect to the simulator after several hour's trying. Can you help check why in some certain situation the simulator will lost its IP and cannot restore anyway ? Looks like I am not the only one who faced this problem.

New Contributor
Freyr
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Simulator

Now I can say it is a VMware Player bug.

Today I re-install vmware player, still "getting IP". Then I install VMware Workstation (trial version), and I saw the IP come back ! **bleep** it !

Looks like the vmware engineer already know how to fix the problem, but they just won't add the fix to the free vmware player.