Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
Nour7
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Software embargo issue?

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I can't access blackberry developer site to download the bb10 sdk.

There is software embargo enforced by US on Syria blocking Syrian users from downloading/accessing web pages hosted on US servers. I'd like to know if blackberry follows the sanctions.

I could access the site when I used proxy but downloading the sdk was impossible behind the slow proxy.

Sometimes the company does not follow the sanction but the web page is hosted on US server follows it.

I am a Syrian developer who lived all his life outside Syria and had to move 2 years ago to find about the sanctions. I am stuck right now here due to current conflicts.

I have few apps on other platforms and I want to port my C++ Samsung bada apps to bb10. These apps are quite popular in the small bada market share with more than 700k downloads. Some of these apps target the Arabic markets.

I like bb10 and I think it is promising.. Blackberry is quite popular in Arabic countries and my apps could do well there.

I have free time now to learn bb10 and then next year I am planning to move out from my country. I'll be able to start publishing the apps .

I don't want to open political discussion, I want to know if I am allowed to develop bb10 apps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Software embargo issue?

Can't provide an answer, but...

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Nour7

Thank you for your answer,

I know RIM is Canadian company :smileyhappy: I can't open developer.blackberry.com  website at all unless I use a proxy.

Therefore, I don't think it is high demands on servers.

However, Nokia applies the sanctions as well. They say that they follow US Export law.

Nokia does not allow accessing ovi store but still allows developers to get the tools (pitty since Nokia is no#1 here in Syria but users can't get any apps). On the other hand, google blocks everything related to Android from sdk to help resources.

There are US companies that don't have any restrictions on dev tools, meaning that the law is somehow flexible or there are ways around it.

I can't download free open source tools from sourceforge since they are hosted on US servers. It is not clear to me how is this law applies but it is awful.

I hope someone from RIM clear this thing for me. I watched some bb10 demos on youtube and I got excited right away. The platform looks nice and I see good opportunities for Arabic markets.

Note: thank you for the sanctions link. It can be useful in general.  The software sanctions started in George Bush era, so it is not a recent thing...

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

A tweet to @BlackBerryDev might help. Those seem to get a quicker response than forum posts, for some reason.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Nour7

Thanks for the twitter account, I'll try later to ask them although I am almost sure now that RIM follows the same sanctions.

It is sad loose-loose-loose case for the firm, developers and customers..

There are strong shortage in Arabic apps and Arabic developers.. there is no benifit at all to the good guys while there are no harm at all to the bad guys.

This what happens when politicians think they understand technology!

Please use plain text.