Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
sabelosoft
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Starting point

Hey all, there's a couple of questions I'm still trying to find answers to, I think my search keywords are lacking something. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

I've recently recieved a "free" playbook for development via the marmalade developer program, though as I understand it, this is not specific to marmalade, and is in fact a blackberry initiative.
Is this true? If so, what is the name of the initiative, and is there a forum/something where I could find answers to some of my questions?

I do not particularly want to make use of the marmalade sdk for the app I want to develop, which is why I am looking for a non-marmalade take on this. Beyond this, I'm looking for details on the restrictions of the program itself eg:

>do I have to use the native sdk as seems the case from a marmalade perspective, or can I make use of all these other options I'm seeing like HTML5, Java, Cascades etc

>When do I have to have released an app by to qualify to keep the playbook, or is it offset from when I recieved it?

>How does BB10 fit into all of this? Is it possible to put BB10 onto the playbook? If so, can I develop an app for BB10 and still qualify for the playbook program?

>Is there any other advice you can give me based on how little I seem to know about all this?

I am aware that the playbook is not free and that ownership transfer is conditional, so there is no need to point this out.

thanks for reading

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Starting point

If you've already actually received it, then I think you can stop worrying unless you have documentation which explicitly binds you to treating it as something you don't own, commits you to developing with a particular SDK, or such things. I'm not familiar with the Marmalade deal at all but previous offers like this have not constrained developers, to my knowledge.

BB10 cannot be put on the PlayBook yet unless you jump through some hoops and are willing to lose most of the functionality of the PlayBook. In any case, it's not currently designed or optimized for the PlayBook so the experience would be different from what we'll eventually see. I don't think it would help you develop apps for the BB10 phones, for example, or at least using the simulator would in this case probably be better.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
sabelosoft
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Starting point

thanks for the reply