Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook
My Carrier: -

Suggestion: overflow menu - delete button placement

[ Edited ]

I have a small, but in my opinion important improvement suggestion for the DeleteActionItem:

Actions of this type will always be placed in the overflow menu in a fixed position. According to general guidelines all destructive action such as 'delete' should use this action type to ensure a consistent UI experience.

If the DeleteActionItem is placed InOverflow the DeleteAction appears always in the lower right position of the screeen.

This is in my opinion dangerous across many applications:

You reach the overflow menu by pressing the menu button (the one with the 3 dots) in the lower right position of the screen. The same position at which the DeleteActionItem appears after pressing the Menu button.

If a user wants to get to the ActionMenu (to add at example a person to his appointment) by pressing the Menu Button and he tapped accidentally the button twice in this area (because typing on the phone while on the go) he presses by mistake immediately the Delete Button.

In my opinion a bad design and I would suggest to place the DeleteActionItem just 1 element above the Menu Bar and no Button at lowest row of the Action menu to avoid such accidents.

Yes, you should always ask if it is a destructive action, but in some cases developer doesn't ask again if the delete action should be performed or not.

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

Re: Suggestion: overflow menu - delete button placement

[ Edited ]

Update: Two Images from the official design guidelines:

The Action Bar is at the Bottom with the "more" Button in the right.

If there is a Delete Action it appears at the same poisition:

The default placement of the Delete Button in the same position as the Menu Button is dangerous. Accidentially doulbepressing of the Menu Button leads to a press of the Delete Button.

In my opinion not a very good placement and design decision for a destructive action. The default location of the Delete Action should be just above the Menu Button and at the same level should appear in the best case no, even if they are more Actions at the Action Menu.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
lew
My Device: Dev Alpha

agreed, you might want to post this in the issuetracker so that we can up vote it :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

Thanks, thats a good Idea.

I'm currently very short in time ( need suddenly a new car, yay! :smileysad: ) so I will write it later this week into the issuetracker. Need to look how the BB issuetracker works before.

I wrote already a mail which will get forwarded by a Developer Evangelist to (hopefully) the right spot. If I don't get any kind of feedback before the weekend I will create a item at the issuetracker. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex

[ Edited ]

Modified overflow Menu as I would like it for Action Items:

action_overflow_menu_2_suggestion.png

I got a answer for my Mail to the Cascades UX team:

"I had a response from the UX guys:
Interesting thought but it will risk to look visually unbalanced.
We talk a lot with user research about accidental tap but accidental double tap is not usual. According to guidelines a destructive delete (where the content is hard to recreate) be connected to undo or a confirmation dialogue. We see a point with being able to fast access doubletap on usually occurring actions down in the left corner."

Hm, okay. Feels still strange to me and I don't know how it could look more unbalanced if the default location for destructive actions would be simply at a different position (The height of the Action Item is anyway less than the Action Bar height in the background) but I guess we have to accept this outcome.

For my own app I will implement a single undo action to avoid to ask every time if someone really want's to delete the current item. But I cared more about the apps I have no influence at. :smileyhappy:

Perhaps a improvement for the next interation of BB10 and Cascades 1.1. There are anyway a lot more construction zones. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.