Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
plungeint
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

[TABLETS] State of the platform

Hi,

I got a blackberry playbook tablet 1 year ago. And for several reasons I didn't publish anything for it. But now I finished a game for iPad with Cocos2dx, a framework compatible with Playbook.

My question is... is playbook still the newest tablet? is there a newer device I should develop for?

Thanks.

JB

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zmey
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, DAC

Re: [TABLETS] State of the platform

It's still newest but you might want to consider a BB10 platform released yesterday. It should be easy to port the game to it.

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
plungeint
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: n/a

[ Edited ]

yesterday? :-P wow

just two more questions,

• then the playbook is old, can it be updated to BB10?
  • Where can I get a BB10 tablet?
  • BB10 is for tablets and mobiles or only mobiles? my game only works on tablets 

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zmey
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, DAC

It was announced at the launch event that BB10 will eventually arrive to all PlayBook tablets. But we don't know exactly when yet. :smileyhappy:

BB10 phones (Dev Alpha A & B) were given to developers at BB Jam Conferences and Portathons. Probably it's not possible to get one right now but the simulator is available:

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/download/

BB10 is only for mobile phones currently, but the phone has rather big screen size.

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
achipa
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: N/A

- Apparently it's getting an update at some point, but don't hold your breath for it to be tomorrow (though some people have succeeded in hacking BB10 firmwares onto it)
- You cannot, no native BB10 tablets yet
- Nothing prevents BB10 to run on tablets, once BB actually decides to launch them.

Currently it looks like the BB10 playbook upgrade is coming in tandem with a native BB10 device (as the 'cheap' alternative), but not this quarter.
-----
Author of QtInfo, the universal Qt info-tool for everything Qt
Please use plain text.