If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
AdrianQuartx
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

[TAR] I tried using the TAR system utility (compress not working)

As above, I use system() to call the TAR command, it works with -cf, I tried to add compression using -z and the archive was not created, i use test.tar as the sample archive name, and the file was created but it seems to be empty, using it without -z works though.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mwoolley
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: [TAR] I tried using the TAR system utility (compress not working)

Can you post the device model and OS version you're testing with please? Always a good idea to include this information.

I tried with my Z10 and found that gzip appears to be absent which is why tar with -z is failing. If you open a ssh session from Momentics you can test this at the command line:

$ tar cvfz test.tar hello.txt goodbye.txt
hello.txt
tar (child): gzip: goodbye.txt
Cannot exec: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I'll check this further as I'm not clear whether this is deliberate or an ommission in the build.

Regards

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Please use plain text.
mwoolley

I can confirm that the compression option of tar is not supported. gzip is not included in the BlackBerry 10 platform at this stage. Sorry :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
mwoolley

zip is there though in /usr/bin so you could compress in a separate step.

Please use plain text.
Developer
AdrianQuartx

I see, thanks!

Please use plain text.