Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
Nithrot
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: asdf

TAT Cascades

Hi all,

Does anyone knows if TAT Cascades will be available to developers?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: TAT Cascades

It is already.

Or perhaps your question needs to be reworded....

I assume you're aware of this https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/ since the forum you're posting the question in is all about that.

Did you mean to ask if RIM will be releasing the *source code* to Cascades? I'd say not a chance.... at least any time soon.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nithrot
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: asdf

Hi peter,

I want to know if there is a high level API to create a 3D UI or something similar.

I've been working with Cascades and I don´t see anything that allows me to do 3D transformations or mixing of 2D and 3D UI objects. Cascades simply provides support for OpenGL.

I know that what I want to do can be done in low-level OpenGL programming and the ForeignWindow, but I would like to know if there are any high-level framework for developers to do that.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
bcs925
My Device: PlayBook, DA B, DA C, LE Z10 #102, Q10, Z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I think when TAT did fancy 3D stuff in Cascades they were using OpenGL. I don't particularly know OpenGL but from what I understand that is the industry standard for doing that kind of stuff.  Also realize that Cascades is in Beta 2 of 4 where it looks like Beta 3 (based off the released roadmap) has a lot of new features.

And on a personal note of how I view "what Cascades is..." it is an environment that lets you easily implement a variety of code languages intermixed with RIM developer APIs to make certain things easier.  So I think of it as if I want to do "A" in C++, then "B" in HTML (using JSON, JS, CSS inside of the html too), and "C" in JS, and "D" in XML, and "E" in QML, and "F" in OpenGL, and... you get the point... I can easily do ALL of that in Cascades using QML objects of ListView, WebView, Foriegn Window, etc.

---
Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding site: BBcascades.com & Cascades Blog: bbcascadescode.tumblr.com

My Built for BlackBerry app: The Dive Plan
Please use plain text.
Developer
Pumano-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Beeline

Yes, Cascades before RIM acquisition has OpenGL high level API like in their video at Youtube. I think its work using declarative + Javascript + Qt core...But for BlackBerry its something another and not all features is provided for end-user now (my point of view).

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

Forget everything about tats fancy graphics, sliding elements, 3d effects or whatever you have seen on youtube. It's not available for public usage and never will be.

It uses extremely proprietary c++ code, mixed with XML like schema language for various tasks such as OpenGL, audio etc
Please use plain text.
Developer
Pumano-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Beeline

Yes, and its very powerful. But maybe you right...its not for public, because RIM share low level OpenGL example for us.
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

It's very true that its power is greater than anything that is freely available today (even existing Qt goodness, or upcoming Qt 5). But as I said, it's entirely custom, in-house made framework which I assume will be hard to learn/work with if RIM decided to make it available to public.
Please use plain text.