Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900

Tab Overflow starts too low

[ Edited ]

I am learning tabs and I had 10 tab items in my app and when I open the app overflow for the first time. some of the elements are below the bezel.

What I mean is that there are 10 menu items the first 8 items are showing and 2 items are hidden below that (so you have to scroll up to see them). Not sure if this is a bug or feature or my mistake. Would love to get feedback thanks!

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Tab Overflow doesnt starts too low

I get the impression it's deliberate, maybe just to keep the first item (which is presumably the default) more accessible to the user's thumb.

Note that they've designed it so the last visible item is partly chopped off, so that the fact that there are more items and that it's a scrollable list is "discoverable" to the user.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900

but if the user wanted to click item 1-3 wouldnt they just hit the regular buttosn instead of the menu? well 9/10 times?

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
peter9477

It's possible to configure the TabbedPane so that the tabs appear only in the tab menu, and not along the bottom. Perhaps that's the rationale.  The current behaviour "feels" right in my own app, which is configured that way at the moment. (No, actually, I don't know how you make that happen if you don't have it already. It's just the way mine is at the moment, whereas an earlier one (maybe before 10.0.9) had the same thing you see, with the first three tabs being duplicated as buttons in the Action Bar at the bottom.)

Anyway, I don't really know their motivation or plans here, of course... I'm just theorizing.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
peter9477

Ah, if showTabsOnActionBar is false, which is the default, then those three first tabs do not actually show up on the action bar, but appear only as tabs.