Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
babakar
My Device: see later
Accepted Solution

Tabbed Pane on top of page

Like its done in facebook, a button on top...on click of it... the tab menu show up left overflow.

how can this be done? is it sthg custom facebook done?

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Tabbed Pane on top of page

These apps are not wrtten using Native code, a tab menu invoked from some other control is not currently possible using Cascades.

You would have to fake it by doing your own TitleBar that then brings a Container on from left to right using animation.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
babakar

I hate not writing native codes, i saw another app...and it has back button on top of page.

if u remember, i once worked here having back button top of page... after that i argued with my boss to change the layout.

i just hate cross platform development.thats me.
Developer
BBSJdev

I do remember and at the time I think I also said you would have to fake it along with some comments about sticking with the native look if you are writing in Native as it's a lot of work to try and bend it to look like another platform.

As I said it's not to hard to fake using native, a simple container containing a ListView with your tab names in then animated on to the screen by the TitleBar Button is only a few lines of code.

It's always good to investigate a platform and its componants before embarking on the coding but seeing as you are already at that stage the option is do the above or switch to another platform.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Retired
PBernhardt
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I wouldn't recommend going to a lot of work to make your app not look like a Cascades app. We didn't put tabs on the bottom just for fun, it's there to improve one handed navigation, which is something our users generally expect.

Android apps do this a lot and it drives me crazy have common things on the top like tabs and back buttons. It's ok on smaller phones like the Z10, but if you have a Z30 you really start to appreciate the little things that Cascades has baked in like that to make one handed navigation easier.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
Developer
babakar

thanks alot for information.

@BBSJDEV is facebook and youtube done in html5? not native languages?
I be surprised for that...

Developer
BBSJdev

Most of the BlackBerry standalone apps are yes.

Developer
babakar

I didnt notice much performance nagging issues with them though...
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

Why would there be, BlackBerry has put significant work in to enabling html5 apps as they have with the others.

Please don't forget to mark one of the posts as the solution if your OP has been answered.

Developer
babakar

yeh, I still prefer native apps to html5. think performance wise its still better, and design wise as welll...

I hate creating designs that dont fit device characteristics.