Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
wantoun
My Device: P'9982 & Z10

To Push or To Pole!?

I'm working on a very simple app for a magazine where I'm pulling their articles via their RSS feed.

They want their readers to know when a new article has been posted. Should I do it with Push or should I have the app refresh at a certain interval?

I've noticed CrackBerry's app refreshes at a certain interval when the app is opened but then again they have an option to use background sync. So how are they doing the second option?

I'm not very excited about Push because it seems complicated and needs some processes setup on a server.

Any ideas?

Wadi
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: To Push or To Pole!?

Using the push invocation although tricky as you said really is the best (and most efficient) way of implementing this.

You could also have a user option to check for updates rather than a timed or polled event trigger within the app and/or a long running headless app.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Retired
robbieDubya
My Device: Q10

Re: To Push or To Pole!?

Hi,

You don't need anything on a server. 

A Scavenger hunt application that we'd used at some of our conferences used push. Push was used to notify winners, etc.

The push messages were sent from another phone. Anything that can build the XML message to trigger a push can do the job...

Thanks.

--
Rob is no longer associated with BlackBerry.
Please use plain text.