Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
noel_roberts
My Device: Z10, 9900, 9810, 9800, PB 16GB, PB 64GB, PB 32GB LTE
My Carrier: Rogers

Transparent Distributed Processing (QNX's TDP) Apps - Is it possible to use TDP for app dev?

I posted this and other questions regarding TDP in the Crackberry developer forums, but it was suggested I try here.

I am wondering if TDP is a differentiator or even game changer for BB10. Not being a developer much anymore, I want to start with knowing if TDP is even usable by developers outside of BB. 

I'm thinking of a camera app as an example, where, after pairing / connecting (maybe WiFi Direct? Or even just on the same network) the camera app on one phone now sees the camera(s) on the other phone, and can take a picture from that camera.  The idea with TDP is that the camera app simply becomes aware of other camera resources on the second phone, once the two phones have been connected.  So, the app would not have code to connect with an app on the second phone, worry about establishing a connection and all that.  TDP at the OS level should take care of that.

It could be very powerful if developer apps were able to use "extended" resources automatically.

It might be that this is too hard for some reason, or if there's any other app idea using TDP, let me know. It might be that TDP is too low level, and maybe some kind of infrastructure layer is required even before app dev could happen.  If such an infastructure layer is required, is this something that could be developed as a kind of headless app that really only is there to expose resources on one phone, and allow connection to another phone?

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Transparent Distributed Processing (QNX's TDP) Apps - Is it possible to use TDP for app dev?

Are you looking to develop this?

Access to the very low levels of QNX are restricted to BB and special partners, however you app is easily achievable using various APIs that are exposed to the normal developer, namely WiFi Direct and invocation (with or without headless).

There are currently no APIs that expose any form of distributed processing AFAIK, but again not that hard to implement at a basic level using the above.

Just take a look at some of the TAT demos for proof of concept.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
noel_roberts

Re: Transparent Distributed Processing (QNX's TDP) Apps - Is it possible to use TDP for app dev?

No I'm not a developer anymore, now in a CTO role for a small services and development shop in a different industry (contact centres).

Mainly I'm really enjoying the BB10 platform (Z10 first and Z30 now) and really would like to help find, encourage, and possibly personally fund a bit, some development that takes advantage of what is really unique with BB10.

So TDP was one area that I was exploring to see if its possible to develop some types of software that would be hard to replicate on other platforms.

The idea of the camera was really more of trying to find a simple example that could use TDP to transparently share resources across devices, and allow an app to see those resources without much if any additional effort.  Another example might be a video broadcast / movie production app. Imagine some students at school, with 3 or 4 BB10 devices, and the Movie app on one device can control whether the "cameramen" on the other phones are active or not.  Those kids are doing an event broadcast of the school play, to a screen for the audience, or even maybe streaming online.

Anyways, again just trying to see if there are apps that maybe can used TDP to be bigger than on one device.

I do love those TAT demos, and that is partly what triggered these thoughts.

If you or others have other ideas that can help differentiate BB10 from other platforms, I'd love to hear it.  I'm not sure what all is possible with headless apps, but maybe that opens some unique doors.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
My Carrier: other

Hi Noel,

Your specific example of using the camera remotely will not work today due to the way we do buffer mapping, unless the memory management guys are doing some neat tricks under the hood that I'm not aware of :smileyhappy:

We don't use read()/write() to push image data around in camera, but instead use a flavour of shared memory interface.

That said, other devices like audio and pps drivers should probably be usable over qnet, however I don't believe any production BlackBerry devices expose qnet presently.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

That being said, I'm sure we'd all be keen to see more distributed computing demos :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
noel_roberts

smcveigh wrote:

Hi Noel,

Your specific example of using the camera remotely will not work today due to the way we do buffer mapping, unless the memory management guys are doing some neat tricks under the hood that I'm not aware of :smileyhappy:

We don't use read()/write() to push image data around in camera, but instead use a flavour of shared memory interface.

That said, other devices like audio and pps drivers should probably be usable over qnet, however I don't believe any production BlackBerry devices expose qnet presently.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Do you know if Qnet is available on BB10, or where I could find that out?  It just seems like this whole model is such a powerful one, that I'd like to see it used to differentiate BB devices.

I had read in an article online that the BBM screen share used some inherent capabilities of the OS, and I think it was even stated it was TDP. Of course now I can't seem to find that artlce.

This article is the one that influenced me though, talking about the power of TDP.  http://www.zdnet.com/blackberry-10-forget-about-the-phone-its-the-os-that-really-counts-7000010650/

You mentioned audio and pps devices (what are these?).  I wonder if it would be possible to do something there, like have a person and their friends hear the same music that one is playing (though this would be streaming again).  It would be neat if it was proximity based.  So, over Wifi Direct or Bluetooth or something.

Noel

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Confirmed that there is no qnet currently on BlackBerry 10 device software builds.

For the audio streaming to 2 devices at the same time -- yes, qnet would have helped with that.  Today, you would have to write your own client/server solution to do this.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.