Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
andreagrandi
My Device: PlayBook Simulator
My Carrier: None

Unable to start QtHelloWorld due to error 8

Hello,

I've followed all instructions available here https://github.com/blackberry/Qt/downloads (yes, I've read all pdf files), I was able to:

- create my tokens

- run the simulator on VMWare

- create the application

- build qt-qnx

- package

- deploy ecc....

when I click on the application icon on the simulatore the application shows the splashscreen, then it closes and there is an error that says: "Unable to start QtHelloWorld due to error 8".

How can I fix this?

p.s: belive me, this deploying procedure is a real HELL :smileysad:

I really would like to port my existing Qt application to the Playbook, but this procedure is really making everything so difficoult.

Best regards.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Unable to start QtHelloWorld due to error 8

Errro 8 I think is architecture mismatch. Are you trying to run x86 (simulator) code on playbook or visa versa?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andreagrandi

I've used this qmake: /home/andrea/Downloads/BlackBerry/qt-qnx/stage/nto/armle-v7/usr/lib/qt4/bin/qmake

and I'm trying to run it in the Playbook Simulator. I don't have a real tablet to test my code :\

Which qmake do I have to use if I need to test my code on the simulator? Thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

Not one that sais nto/armle-v7 - because this is arm architecture. Is there nto/x86?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andreagrandi

There is NO nto/x86 there, there is just a nto/usr but there is no qmake inside of it...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
achipa
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: N/A

You want to configure Qt with something like:

./configure -opensource -confirm-license -qpa -shared -release -xplatform unsupported/blackberry-x86-qcc -little-endian -arch i386 -iconv -largefile -nomake examples -xmlpatterns -no-webkit -no-neon -opengl -no-rpath -prefix-install -prefix $PWD/stage/nto/x86/usr/lib/qt4 -headerdir $PWD/stage/nto/usr/include/qt4

You can always verify the arch of the result with "file [executable|sofile]". Note that your qmake is always X86 even if you go for ARM as you're crosscompiling.

-----
Author of QtInfo, the universal Qt info-tool for everything Qt
Please use plain text.
Contributor
andreagrandi

I've done another test (using QtCreator this time) and I got "Error 3".

I've also verified the architecture of the generated file:

andrea@centurion:~/Documents/sviluppo/qnx/qmlhelloworld3$ file qmlhelloworld3

qmlhelloworld3: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

if I understand, this can NOT run on the emulator, right?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andreagrandi

p.s: in the Getting Started document there is nothing about your configure options http://cloud.github.com/downloads/blackberry/Qt/qnx-GettingStartedwithQtonBlackberry-060212-1704-8.p...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
achipa
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: N/A

I was puzzled about this a bit myself (see my posts on the Qt-on-BB blog), the bottom line is it seems the instructions are for ARM (i.e. when you have a device). Simulator is not THAT different, you just config the Qt build with my changes above and you will end up with the 'right' arch files for X86 (i.e. the simulator). 

PS. Oh, I remember - there WAS one thing when I flipped the arch, but it was some silly demo or example, just hack that out from the .pro and you're good to go.

-----
Author of QtInfo, the universal Qt info-tool for everything Qt
Please use plain text.
Contributor
andreagrandi

ok, so if I use these configure options: ./configure -opensource -confirm-license -qpa -shared -release -xplatform unsupported/blackberry-x86-qcc -little-endian -arch i386 -iconv -largefile -nomake examples -xmlpatterns -no-webkit -no-neon -opengl -no-rpath -prefix-install -prefix $PWD/stage/nto/x86/usr/lib/qt4 -headerdir $PWD/stage/nto/usr/include/qt4

I also build the x86 target or just the x86 target? I ask you because I also need the arm one. I don't need it now, but I will need it to release my application for the tablet.

p.s: I've created #qt-qnx on FreeNode IRC, if you want to join us and spread the word to your followers it would be so nice from you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.