Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Unable to update a DevAlpha... looking for a Hard Reset/Forced OS push option

I have a DevAlpha (and it is working fine) but my friend's DevAlpha failed to take the proper update that was released during BB Jam in San Jose.

It currently has a "partial" update with the new UI... but only a browser icon and nothing else (no appworld, no BBM, nothing) in fact you can't even go into the settings to see what IP address it has picked up when it joins a Wifi network.

Attempts to use the "Device Manager" software on multiple PCs has failed to identify the device as anything other than "Unknown Device (0)"  (normally the part in the brackets is the device PIN.

Attempts to plug it in and use the "Repair / Update" options look promising.. but ultimately fail to send the device an update and error out.

We've also tried using the AppLoader.msi tool... to use the WipeReload.bat script to "force" a software upload but the first step in that script is to select the device from a dropdown list to continue... and the dialog opens with an empty dropdown list (and thus a disabled OK button) and so there is no way to continue.

The Question therefore is... is there a tool/script to "force" an OS reset to the device connected via USB cable?... or if I can connect on a small Wifi network where I can pinpoint the exact IP?

Failing that... being an hour away from one of two RIM's office locations (Waterloo/Mississauga)... is there any chance to bring the device in person to RIM and have someone there apply a little magic?

Cheers,

Steve

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Unable to update a DevAlpha... looking for a Hard Reset/Forced OS push option

Here are a couple of things to try:

1. Retry the Apploader.msi tool. Uninstall the current version from your computer via the Control Panel > Programs & Features. Its called: BlackBerry Device Software Updater. Once that's done, reboot your computer, then redownload it from: https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/blackberry10devalpha/devalpha_update.html and reinstall the Apploader.msi file. Next attach the Dev Alpha and wait for the computer to recognize it. It might take a minute. If it doesn't connect, reboot the Dev Alpha and try again. Once the computer sees it, run the WipeReload.bat file. The process should now complete correctly.

2. If it still doesn't complete correctly, you can try to perform a clean reload using the BlackBerry Desktop Software. To do this, make sure you have the most recent version of the Desktop Software installed (7.1.0.32). Run the Desktop Software and plug the Dev Alpha into the computer. Reboot the Dev Alpha. After ~30 seconds, the Desktop Software will come up with a message saying that it is unable to connect to the device and will give you an option to Retry, Update or Cancel. Pick the Update option, then proceed through the steps to complete the debrick or clean reload process.

Hopefully one of those two techniques will work for you.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web

Re: Unable to update a DevAlpha... looking for a Hard Reset/Forced OS push option

Thanks Krypto... however I when I re-tried the steps you indicated... I get the exact same results as before.

for the AppLoader, I can't select the device because it doesn't recognize it and thus there are no devices listed:

noDevice.png

and for the Device Manager software... it only recognizes my other devices (9900, PlayBooks, and my personal DevAlpha)... thus again... any attempt to update it won't work.

I was also curious... is there the equivelent of a pinhole where I can insert a paperclip to do a "hard reset" back to the factory image?... even that would be a step up right now.

Otherwise is there someone at RIM that has a better tool available that I might be able to use... or visit RIM in person to fix?

BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web

I also tried 2 other tricks... basically attempt to "start" the update process on my working Dev Alpha... so I could get past any roadblocks, then before continuing swap the devices to attempt to revive the dead device.  e.g. I was hoping that the AppLoader script might just be looking for a target location on the USB chain... and I might be able to establish the location with the working device... then force a reset on the non-working one.... but no luck, it still has the same error.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nickmaher
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Telstra

Have you tried running the WipeReload script and then resetting the device while the dialog is open? When the device reboots, it should appear in the list of devices for a second or two (you've got to be quick). I followed the instructions in this post, and it worked for me:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Do-not-wipe-Dev-Alpha-Update-10-0-9-Bu...

Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web

oh man it was hard to catch it when the red light flashed... but on the 3rd go I got it... looks like it is trying to update now... fingers crossed it will be alive shortly.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Glad you got it figured out!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.