06-20-2012 07:29 AM
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with my shiny new BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha. I've set up the development environment and configured the connection to my device (over wifi).
After enabling Developer Mode on the device I can deploy HelloCascades and my own app, but the "wifi" connection in Eclipse is very unreliable.
I can maintain a ping to the device from my desktop, it's in the same room as the wifi router and no other devices are having problems on the wifi; but every time I want to do something (even if I only deployed less than a minute ago), I have to right click on "wifi" in the Project Explorer and select BlackBerry Tools > Connect. Sometimes it'll work, but most of the time I'll get various errors ("connection timed out" is the most common).
Whilst it's connected, assuming it doesn't drop, it works fine.
Does anybody have any ideas?
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-20-2012 09:04 AM
Earlier versions of PlayBook OS had similar issues. Things that helped for some users:
06-20-2012 10:44 AM
Disabling 802.11n didn't help. Ping didn't help. Router is up-to-date.
Thanks anyway (not going to downgrade the security).
06-20-2012 11:23 AM
06-23-2012 04:09 PM
After being stymied too much this evening, I put some effort into finding out why I couldn't get USB working.
Turned out it was very simple: looking at dmesg after plugging the BB10 Dev Alpha in, I saw:
[11341.991568] usb 2-1.5.1: new high speed USB device number 7 using ehci_hcd
[11342.085568] usb 2-1.5.1: rejected 1 configuration due to insufficient available bus power
[11342.085570] usb 2-1.5.1: no configuration chosen from 1 choice
[11515.613422] usb 2-1.5.1: USB disconnect, device number 7
I knew it wouldn't charge when plugged in to the USB port on my keyboard, but hadn't realised it wouldn't even configure a working USB connection. So, plugging it straight into my machine: Ubuntu reports new wired connection, a ping of 169.254.0.1 confirms a connection and configuring it in the Native SDK is then straightforward.
Much more reliable to deploy & debug now :-)
01-15-2013 08:24 AM - edited 01-15-2013 08:34 AM
Hi Jaffa and readers,
I would like to get ssh work via USB on my Archlinux host. Harmattan/MeeGo (N9/N950) had this "ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.14" command before using ssh. I will try later tonight if it works out of the box on the devalpha device with blackberry-connect. :-)
Unfortunately, I do not have a working WiFi connection that I could use smoothly and we are getting to the deadline for the limited edition device. :-)
Thank you for your thread!
04-02-2013 05:02 PM - edited 04-02-2013 05:04 PM
Having just got my Z10 (STL100-1 running 10.0.9.2372) it can't see the wifi from my TP-LINK TL-WA901N at all.
Bit of a kicker. Given it's affected the PlayBook, Dev Alpha and now Z10 this must be some form of QNX bug.
04-02-2013 05:04 PM
What type of WiFi? For instance, it will not recognize adhoc hotspots as it only handles managed, at least for now as far as I can tell.
04-02-2013 05:09 PM - edited 04-02-2013 05:14 PM
Normal managed AP, details from the admin console:
|Operation Mode:||Access Point|
|Name (SSID):||bleb.org wifi|
|Max Tx Rate:||
Security is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (version: auto).
04-02-2013 05:18 PM
The field for the Version field says:
Version - You can select one of following versions:
- Automatic - Select WPA or WPA2 automatically based on the wireless station's capability and request.
- WPA - Wi-Fi Protected Access.
- WPA2 - WPA version 2.
There must be something about the wireless stack which results in a problem either at the router or device end with negotiating the encryption capability.