Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
RyanSullivan
My Device: Developer

UnsupportedMediaType - When playing apparently supported media

Hi im trying to playback a video using the MediaPlayer class however its generating UnsupportedMediaType errors, the video is encoded in H.264 and the audio is AAC encoded.

Both of the codecs required for playback are available in BB10 according too https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/resource/bb_media_support_at_a_glance.html

If anyone has any ideas about how I can find out what is specifically wrong with my media or any insightful knowledge on how I might debug this issue in more details please let me know.

New Contributor
RyanSullivan
My Device: Developer

Re: UnsupportedMediaType - When playing apparently supported media

its probably also worth pointing out that the MIME type for this media item is video/quicktime
Retired
s_rashid
My Device: Bold

Re: UnsupportedMediaType - When playing apparently supported media

@RyanSullivan:

If you are not getting any other errors/logs (and if the code is right) then I can only think of the following to be a reason:

* Are you using a simulator or an actual device?

Unfortunately, the simulator has very limited supported on multimedia playback. This is due to the fact that the simulator doesn't have enough decoders (proprietory reasons). Feel free to open up a feature request through JIRA : https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa regarding this. I have actually been trying to convince some teams for getting more codec support in the simulator; more public requests will help.

If you are actually using the device, would you mind sharing some code snippets - or your log/error output?

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Rashid