Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: ThePhone
Accepted Solution

Updating an app

I'm developing an application using Cascades and I'm planning about including an 'Update' option. Does Cascades provide a mechanism/framework using which I can update certain features on the client-side? Or do I have to arrange something on my own? I've never had an update option and I'm a bit confused about how to add it to my application. Thanks!
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Updating an app

updates are handled via bb world.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

So, I just roll out an update and BB World takes care of updating/modifying some files that I may need to update/modify on the client's machine?
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Just update a new full version of your app with the updates features/ functions and they should be good to go!.
Developer

the data (folder) of the application stays intact on an upgrade (application id is the same).
that means if you use a database you need to write upgrade code if necessary, like adding columns or removing invalid data.

if you don't have a database (or similar) you usually don't need to do anything.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

^and to further add on to this, if you have a database in a previous version of an app and want to replace it with a new one you'll need to write code to loop through the previous database and transfer the information over to the new one (not the easiest task )

Developer

bmorr wrote:

^and to further add on to this, if you have a database in a previous version of an app and want to replace it with a new one you'll need to write code to loop through the previous database and transfer the information over to the new one (not the easiest task )

transferring to a new database is quite uncommon, usually it is much easier to modify an existing database with new fields and/or tables.

@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Unless you're dopey like me and create your app on persistent data and want to upgrade to something more flexible like SQL or JSON. Smiley Tongue

New Developer

Actually I was thinking about adding new features in the future release, that means I'll probably have to tweak the UI a bit. I don't want the user to reinstall the entire application, hence the reason for update option. :-)
New Developer

Thanks for your help! Smiley Happy