Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Upgrade causing previous version to be removed from phone

We have a BES 10 customer using a BB10 corporate application, which each user downloads via Blackberry World for Work.  The users all run Q10s at the same level - 10.1.0. <I am finding out>.  Each time I add a Software Level (without deleting the previous one), the app is deleted from about 10% of the user's phones.  In other words, about 10% of them have to download (not upgrade) the app from BlackBerry World for Work.  Of course that means they have to re-sync all their data too. 

It always happens to the people in the field who are desperate for the app, so we get a big panic each time we upgrade the customer. 

Does anyone have any idea as to why this might be happening?

I am NOT touching any previous versions on the BES, just adding a new one, the adding it to the Software configuration for the phones. 

I am wondering if this is something to do with the users having the app open on the phone?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Upgrade causing previous version to be removed from phone

I've successfully updated an app multiple times without this happening, merely by adding the new one to the software configuration, even when the app has been opened.

When it's opened, the app will be forcibly closed (just as with any other BB10 app update), as the update occurs.

I don't know why it's happening to you though. My first thought would have been that you were causing one version to be removed before the new version was added, but when you just change the software configuration to add the new one (so all the old versions are showing there as well) then BES10 should be (as far as I understand it) optimizing all that by just updating to the latest version.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Thanks for your input Peter.  Ties in with my personnel experience. 

I am now being told the Q10s are NOT all at the same level, some even have 1720 on. Since I am building for a higher OS than that, the older OS is not going to help. 

Until I get the OS level synchronized, I am not looking for another problem.  I will leave this open and report. 

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

All users are now running a current level of the OS and the random deletions are still occurring whenever we supply an upgrade.  Has anyone any idea how we can investigate this? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
ekke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition), Q10, Z30
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

your customer uses newest release of BES 10 ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
International Development Mobile Apps BlackBerry 10 Cascades
Cascades - Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

Open Source Enthusiast
blog: http://ekkes-corner.org videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ekkescorner
bb10-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Very good question.

Short answer - no.  Am investigating this.  Will get back to you. 

Please use plain text.