Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
AdrianQuartx
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

[Urgent][BBM] Access to users BBM Contacts and Messages?

Is there a related API ? Or does the BBM Social Platform API only allows access to BBM contacts who install my app too?

Or is there no way to programmatically view user BBM messages and contacts ? (Not just those who install my apps)

Developer
bmorr

Re: [Urgent][BBM] Access to users BBM Contacts and Messages?

You can make your app BBM connected so that users can see their BBM contacts from within your app.  Check out this tutorial here for how to integrate BBM connections into your app:

http://opensourcebb.com/help-resources/tutorials/item/384-simple-bbm-integration-in-cascades

Developer
AdrianQuartx

[ Edited ]

.... Kindly reread OP .... I meant NOT ONLY PEOPLE WHO INSTALL MY APP :Offtopic:

Documentation says application will only be able to retrieve other BBM contacts that install the application, not all BBM Contacts

Developer
bmorr

goodluck finding the info!

Developer
AdrianQuartx

Thanks? I guess...

Developer
bmorr

well it would help if you explained what you're trying to do.  Do you want users to be able to see all their contacts?  It's kind of unlcear what you want to do.  BBM connected, at least in my app let's users see all their contacts, regardless of whether they have downloaded my app or not....unless what you're really talking about is being able to pull the contacts into your app without the BBM connected framework, in which case I don't believe that is possible.

Developer
AdrianQuartx

Ok here goes

Regarding the BBM API

1. Does the BBM Contacts class return all BBM Contacts or BBM Contacts who have installed my app

2. If 1 is all BBM Contacts, why does the docs say only Contacts who have app installed is returned

3. Are you able to access the BBM Messages?

4. I know i have to get registered using BPS before I use the BBM methods

Cheers

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Here you go...

1. Only BBM contacts who have installed your app.
  2. Doc is correct.  :smileyhappy:
  3. No, you can not programmatically access BBM messages.  You can use the invocation framework to compose a BBM message, which the user can send.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

MSohm wrote:
  • No, you can not programmatically access BBM messages.  You can use the invocation framework to compose a BBM message, which the user can send.
  •  

It seems this is still missing at the 10.3.0 SDK, is this at least for 10.3.1 on schedule? We're able to backup and restore SMS messages since the early beginning of BB10, but for BBM there is still no solution to conserve and archive conversations at a save place.
    Developer
    ekke
    My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition), Q10, Z30
    My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

helex wrote:

MSohm wrote:
    • No, you can not programmatically access BBM messages.  You can use the invocation framework to compose a BBM message, which the user can send.

It seems this is still missing at the 10.3.0 SDK, is this at least for 10.3.1 on schedule? We're able to backup and restore SMS messages since the early beginning of BB10, but for BBM there is still no solution to conserve and archive conversations at a save place.

as I understand it, this won't be possible because of privacy of BBM Chats

only in work perimeter, with special policies for BBM Protected this will be able in a safe way to satisfy requirements from some regulated domains

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
    BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
    International Development Mobile Apps BlackBerry 10 Cascades
    Cascades - Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ekkescorner http://vimeo.com/ekkescorner/videos
    bb10-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner