Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
AnugrahThomas
My Carrier: Airtel

Using c++ alone

Hi guys,

I would like to create my new bb cascade application using cpp alone. Can you please point out the obvious advantages and dissadvanatages I would be facing if i do not use qml for the user interface part. I need to clear this out before its too late to revert back. Thanks in advance. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
saprykin
My Carrier: MTS

Re: Using c++ alone

Well, in my opinion the main (and only) disadvantage would be creating (designing) UI without any graphical representation in IDE. I mean you must launch your app every time after changing UI or trying to see if it is OK.
Beside that I don't see any disadvantages. For example I'm using only C++ for my app and do not have any troubles or huge intension to rewrite it to QML.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NSR Reader for BlackBerry 10 @NSRReader on Twitter
Me @xelfium on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Creating the UI in QML is usually a lot simpler and faster.
If you want to do something specific you can still do it in c++, but i don't see any reason not to use QML.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Carrier: Telus

Going against what saprykin said, the second you add a custom coponent to your app, you'll loose the ability to view your project in the ide & will have to launch it every time (so not really any difference vs. the c++ method)  I would say the biggest difference is javascript vs pure c++, pick whichever you feel most comfortable working with. 

Please use plain text.