Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
mhkhung
My Carrier: Rogers

Very slow connecting Alpha device/simulator to QDE debugger?

I have seen it much faster before, but lately it takes like 8-9 mins just to get to the main function and it is very painful..

First it stucks at 86%: Configuring GDB, for about 3 mins then

at 88% Launching, for another 5 mins, then still

at 88% Configuring GDB Launching application for another minute or so until it hit the default breakpoint in main..

Anyone knows what's going on? I tried rebooting the device and laptop and still the same.. (Tried the simulator as well and it's the same as well).. (I have 16G ram on my Win7-64 laptop so it shouldn't be a memory issue)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mhkhung

Re: Very slow connecting Alpha device/simulator to QDE debugger?

Well, I found that if I dock my lenovo laptop, starting the app is instant.. I am using the same usb port to connect to the devAlpha device and I didn't switch power plan (was always on power supply even when not docked).. any idea?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zmey

Startup can be slow when internet connection is not accessible. Can this be the issue?

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mhkhung

I am on wifi when not dock'ed.. and on lan when I am.. But my internet is always fine.. had to keep surfing the net while waiting for 10mins for the app to start..

(And the device is connected to usb.. I tried using wifi to connect to the device and it's worse..)

Could it be something wrong with the network driver? Although I tried pinging 169.254.0.1 and it's instantanous. I think launching ssh has a greater initial delay when I am not dock'ed as well..

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zmey

There was similar thread in Native Development forum section and the problem was related to QDE trying to validate certificates with RIM server which caused the delay when the server was inaccessible.

Also this might be a DNS issue. Can you please try enabling AirPlane mode (or disable WiFi) on the device and see if it helps?

Also I'd try overriding DNS settings on the laptop to use Google's DNS service: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If something is wrong with local DNS this could also help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mhkhung

Yes.. Turning off BB10's wifi radio fixes it when my laptop's not docked.. But then my app needs internet to function so I have to switch back/forth to re-enable wifi once the app's running..

At least I can still work.. is there a real fix?

- M

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zmey

Try changing DNS settings on WiFi router, then reconnect the device. I think it's not possible to override them directly on device.

Please use plain text.