Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
traxxter
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Maxis
Accepted Solution

Visible .bar Content

Developers that previously develop for meego or symbian know that the qml content is visible by unpacking sis or deb files using certain tools.Both files are installer files for symbian and meego.To protect the content,most developers will put qml into qrc so the qml will be compiled into binary instead of just packed along into the installer files only.Does this issue also affected blackberry installer .bar.

Please use plain text.
Developer
knobtviker
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Limited Edition
My Carrier: Bonbon

Re: Visible .bar Content

Yes it does. BAR can be easily unpacked. QRC packing is advisable. Keep in mind to some of us, decompiling QRC files is also not a big problem.

Biggest protection here is that BlackBerry doesn't really allow downloading BARs without control. If you hand them out, your problem. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
traxxter

Looks like until now this issue is stills not solved. I know decompiling qrc is possible but at least it is harder than just unpack the installer.

Sooner or later someone will manage to extract the binary and the resources from the phone just like what happen to symbian. They extract all the resources and binary and repack as .bar. Just a matter of when and when that happen, piracy will become big issue like what happen in symbian community.
Please use plain text.
Developer
knobtviker
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Limited Edition
My Carrier: Bonbon

I solved piracy problem on Symbian 3 years ago but Nokia terminated the project. Prototype app is still not pirated successfully.

As long as you distribute your BARs through BlackBerry World only, you are safe from 99% of people.

Please use plain text.
Developer
traxxter

You know,i heard about your name before in symbian world but I cannot recall what. Your name is quite famous back then.
Please use plain text.