Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
vingilot
My Device: 9900

WAV Sizes

Hey all, i'm trying to get different notes to play on click, I have that working but for sustained notes the wav files sizes are pretty large. Does OpenAL let you adjust note frequency with decreasing time, like what you can do in sound editing to produce different frequency notes? That way I could use one file and edit the pitch etc. If not, I suppose my best option is to look at compressing the sounds, does openAL only support WAV? Or can we use other file types? Thirdly, for those who have already made apps involving many sounds, what size would seem excessive? Each note is nearly a mb at the moment and having 10-30 would start racking up the size. 

Lots of questions there I apologize, and I am attempting to find the answers to them myself as well. Feel free to answer in as much or little detail as you feel is necessary and as always thanks guys.

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

Re: WAV Sizes

I'm not sure what formats it might support but yes, WAV files will be huge as they are basically uncompressed. Shy of a real answer, all I can suggest is to convert one of your files to *.mp3 or *.ogg and try loading it.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
vingilot

First off thanks for offering help, I have actually tried mp3's already and it didn't play so I don't think its supported, if there are any more suitable ones supported I'll keep looking into it and will wait for further replies

Developer
vingilot

[ Edited ]

Despite openAl saying it supports .ogg's, they do not seem to play in this implementation, has anyone else found this to be the case also? I know openAl is one of many different audio solutions for BB10, does anyone know if they would support mp3/ogg formats? If not, is it difficult to convert ogg's to wav's in openAl within the app? Thanks guys! Any additional solutions would be appreciated. Additionally, I apologise for my ignorance, are .ogg's played the same as .wav's? I am doing this based on the cowbell sample app, do .ogg's not work out of the box and I have missed a step or are they truly not supported? Thanks.