Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.

Wappy: a complete free and open source BB10 app

[ Edited ]

Hello everybody,

I'm pleased to announce that me and my team have finally finished our first Native BB10 application built using Cascades! It's called Wappy - The happy wallpaper app. It's not yet available on AppWorld. It started as an updated version of my other app "Wallpaper Ruler" for the Playbook but we decided to change the name.

It's a free and open source project. We did it in our spare time as a learning project. And we definitely learned a lot!

We trully believe that if we ever want more quality apps on the platform, devs need to learn more and have access so feel free to use any parts of the source code in your apps. Oh, and if you spot a bug or would like to join the team to keep maintaining it, please speak up. We would love to have contributions from the community.

The app is extremelly simple but it uses a bunch of features from Cascades - like the Inocation Framework -  and Qt 4 - like Multi Threading and QImage manipulation. Many of the techniques used on the app we learned from the material of this forum so here goes a big general thanks to everyone that contributes to Native Development.

Soon, I'll start another open source project for Qt and most probably I will post more info about it on this forum.

I hope it helps other devs.

Cheers!

link: https://github.com/williamrjribeiro/wallpaper-ruler-bb10

Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Wappy: a complete free and open source BB10 app

Wow! A quick scan of the code shows a lot of effort has gone in to this and will I'm sure be invaluable as a learning resource for beginners.

Kudos to you all!

Keep it up.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
oniongarlic
My Device: Playbook, BB10DevAlphaB

Always good with free code to take a look at. Thanks
Please use plain text.
New Developer
daniazar
My Device: Developer

Thank you, it is always good to have a complete app resource to look at to see how others resolved similar problems. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10

This is fantastic!  Thanks for sharing

Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb

The app is now available on BlackBerry World! Go check it out and give some reviews please. But make sure you are using BB10.1 (not 10.2, not 10.0).
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/35353891/
Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb

Hello Z30 owners!

My team and I have created a free, open source and happy native app for BB10 - Wappy - but unfortunately it doesn't support the new device. Not YET at least ... 

We are working hard on a new release to fully support it and the new 10.2 OS and for that we need your help!

To create our frames feature we need real device screen shots but we don't have any Z30 available for doing so. With the screenshots we create a mocked up version for using in the app.

We only need 3 screenshots:
1- Active frames 

2- Home Screen

3- Locked Screen

A few details:

1. Turn on all the wireless communications so that we have a good overview of the home screen status bar.
  2. The more unread notifications you have on your lock screen the better! Don't need to expand any of them.
  3. Calendar appointments are also good for the lock screen.
  4. No need for Lock Screen Message.
  5. The home screen has to be completely filled with application icons.
  6. The Active Frames has to have at least 4 running applications.
  7. if it was not clear: the pictures above are the mocked up versions of real Z10 screens. We'll do the mock up. You just need to send the real screen shot image file.

If you are willing to help, please post the screen shots here on this forum or send me via PM or via email wappy@williamrjribeiro.com.
We'll dedicate a special thanks to all forum members that helps in our quest. 

I'll use this post updated with the progress. So, who's feeling like participating on an open source project?

Cheers!

Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10

Regarding the Active Frame Size

From the Webworks 10.0.4.11 release notes:

"For this release of the BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK and the BlackBerry 10 OS, the size of Active Frames is 310 x 396 for devices with a 720 x 1280 screen resolution. For the next release, and for future devices with this screen resolution, the size of Active Frames will be 319 x 437.It is recommended that you create assets and text for Active Frames that support the 319 x 437 size. This may cause your Active Frame to look distorted when developing for the 10.2.0.1443 release and earlier but it will appear as expected for future releases and devices."

Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb

Nice catch! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb

Hello guys,

Wappy has been updated to version 1.1. Here's the change list:

• Added more languages: Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese & Arabic
  • Support for Z30
  • Other minor bug fixes and improvements

One neat thing that I discovered is that for working with multiple translatable language files (*.ts), Qt has created Linguist app and it works quite well! Worth checking. Does Momentics support something like it?

Again, the source code is on Github and has some few good tricks.

Cheers!
Please use plain text.