Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Contributor
Marker
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 3

What IDE are you using?

Hi,

I am from a C# Visual Studio background and have for a while been doing a few apps on AIR, but wondered if I should have gone the C++ way instead, since I already have experience with a few Win32 apps in VC++.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an advice on what IDE to use with C++?. I have been on Visual Studio since 6.0 and not sure what IDE would be the best to use doing C++ for Playbook - given the platform I come from?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: What IDE are you using?

Try installing the Native SDK... it comes with a pretty good IDE. ;-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
scraft
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange

Personally I use Visual Studio (2008, although I don't really use any features on PlayBook development that weren't available in 2003/2005/etc.) although it does take some extra work build system wise if you want to break out from the default IDE.

For debugging you have to use GDB, so either command line or via the Eclipse IDE that comes with the SDK.

Steve

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Marker

Can you use the API with VS 2008? or are you using Marmalade with VS? Read somewhere that they had a working beta that could be used for Playbook development, but didn't find anything confirmed on the subject.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scraft
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange

I don't think you can use VS 'out of the box' with PlayBook. I actually use a Jam based build system for all platforms, including PlayBook, and I have it integrated into VS, so all platforms I work with build under Visual Studio. As I say it does take some setting up, I am not sure I would goes from all the hoops purely just to use another IDE, however something like the Jam build system offers a lot more, especially when using lots of platforms.

Steve

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Marker

Hi Pete,

Ya it is quite neat and have been trying it out and did some small test with 2D OpenGL etc. Wondered if there was an library where I could utilize UI components? like QT but could read that was not a good use in a Win environment. 

I would especially like to get my fingers onto File browse dialogue, ie like browseForOpen dialogue in AIR.

Is this IDE very much targeted game development? and not so much towards business app development? The open source api's and brief toturials looked like that to me.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Marker, yes, very much targetted towards games for now. The major thing we're expecting (and it's in a closed beta right now) is the Cascades UI framework. This is something RIM's TAT (The Astonishing Tribe) acquisition is diligently working on in Sweden, and which we have high hopes for in this area. Googling would turn up various video "teases" if you're interested.

There's no clear timeline (another work in progress) but at DevCon last year they hoped to have the beta out by year's end and said final release in April. They may not be very far off that schedule.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
azazello
My Device: Playbook Tablet
My Carrier: MTS

since I use Qt library , QtCreator IDE suitable for main development, with exception for platform-specifica code, final build/debugging for playbook.  (unfortunately, Qt add-on for eclipse don't use a standart build configuration, so it's incompatible with QNX/Playbook add-on)

VS IDE+Qt add-on can be used by same way.

it's also possible to develop SDL and OpenGL_ES+EGL-based projects by same way.

/rgds
Andrey Yaromenok aka azazello
Please use plain text.