Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
becker666
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

What is the harm of releasing a device-debug bar file instead of device-release

[ Edited ]

No matter what I tried the device-release does not launch it kinda flickers the screen and that is it, as usually no documentation to read about it. I read some guy had to start from the scratch with an empty proj and import the files  sounds too radical.

Evenif I'm running as Device-Release mode everything works, it is just when I generate the bar that the Device_release doen't  start.. added some stuff to the pro file as somebody else suggested no diff, cleaned, rebooted, restarted.

I released my LIte version with the device-debug and it all got thru on the BBW and users are using it with no issues, so my full version is out of the oven but cannot make the device-release if I let it go like  device-debug what is the issue????

Please use plain text.
Developer
saprykin
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: MTS

Re: What is the harm of releasing a device-debug bar file instead of device-release

Well, actually your app can contain errors which are not raised in debug mode. In debug mode compiler adds extra debugging symbols, OS allocates memory in a bit different way and do not perform speed optimizations, so the app works a bit (and sometimes not a bit) slower and some errors can be masquaraded.
If your app has some problems or crashes in release build, it indicates that it has bugs somewhere and it's better to fix them.
In my opinion it is not a good idea to deploy a debug build to users.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NSR Reader for BlackBerry 10 @NSRReader on Twitter
Me @xelfium on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
becker666

Re: What is the harm of releasing a device-debug bar file instead of device-release

That is what I thought but the bloody dilemma is how to debug this??? I don't even get to the splash screen, some guideline to read about somewhere????  I tried to write the old proven  "I'm here tag#" to a file  but don't get to the 1st one inside the main.cpp which works when I run from the IDE on the device.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcebryk
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Orange

It is the most likely associated with null pointers - make sure that your app (especially QML) does not read the values that has not been filled with initial value.

Lublin BlackBerry Developer Group

---
If I helped you please mark my response as solution or "Like" it.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
becker666

Thanks for the suggestion I went thru the QMLs and found a couple of unused entries which were pointing to some images I had deleted, revised, cleaned ,rebuilt. unfortunaltely did not make a difference. Do yo have any other suggestions??

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcebryk
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Orange

If you are using combined C++ & QML check the C++ functions invoked in QML etc. The worst case is deleting halfs of the code. Just remove half of your code from the project (reasonably so it will not break:smileywink: - and check if it can be executed. If the issue remains you need to split the second half of code, if solved you need to look for mistake in the deleted part of code.

Lublin BlackBerry Developer Group

---
If I helped you please mark my response as solution or "Like" it.
Please use plain text.