Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
CBissonnette
My Device: 9900

What should we use to develop our apps?

Hi,

I am a bit confuse.  I can see the potential of the native sdk but it is full of extentions and I don't know where to start or what to use.  If I want to port actual Java code with BB Java UI, what it the equivalent in native sdk?  can I use a graphic library to recreate the standard UI controls from the BB Java UI?  Is it overkill? 

thanks for the help.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

Re: What should we use to develop our apps?

There is no UI framework right now in NDK. I suggest to use Air for your app. NDK is good for gaming (direct rendering no standard ui controls) or Air native extensions.

Developer
CBissonnette

When will the UI be available?

Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified

I'm don't make games, but my current application utilizes heavy math so I chose the native SDK. I am using GL ES for basic UI, which is like driving a tank to the grocery store, but it's working out pretty nicely.

I tried Air, but I much prefer the native SDK.

Scott

New Developer
cjjj21
My Device: Playbook

As I've been told, the Cascade UI framework will be available around Dec in the NDK 2.0 beta.

Developer
CBissonnette

Hi, I was also thinking of using this thank but I am worry about the UI uniformity if we all do that plus Web + Air + Android Java.  The device UI will look like a bit of everything with no guide lines, no soul?  Just my opinion ...   

Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

CBissonnette wrote:

When will the UI be available?

The Cascades UI (from TAT) will be released in Beta in Nov, with version 1.0 being released in March

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

March of next year? But BBX 2.0 for the PB is scheduled for Feb 2012. How can the 1.0 version of the CUI SDK be after the release of the OS?
Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified

How can the 1.0 version of the CUI SDK be after the release of the OS?

Easy! They just do it :smileyhappy: Just like they released the NDK after the PlayBook was released. It's not uncommon to release dev packages after release of the platform.

The OS release date is probably set to satisfy customers. CUI is obviously not ready for release yet. They can't hold back an OS release for every item they want to add, otherwise it would never get released.

Scott

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Also, don't forget that some of the best selling apps on the PlayBook were written with the closed-beta NDK. So it probably will be fine to release apps made with the beta version of Cascades.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.