Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: aa
My Carrier: aa

Why Eclipse instead of Qt Creator

I am trying to work on BB10 and kind of have frustrating experience with QNX IDE. Just wondering why Blackberry decided to use Eclipse instead of using Qt Creator which is much better IDE and very good support for QML and C++? If someone from BB IDE team could answer that, it would be great.

Developer
My Device: Z10 Red
My Carrier: Free

Re: Why Eclipse instead of Qt Creator

I think that they choose it for the profiler stuff coming from qnx. Which is quite powerful.
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Most likely becuase they had a lot of in-house knowledge of Java, and not so much of Qt.

This shows in the fact that the Qt mkspecs are kinda buggy and only properly work with eclipse because it does extra stuff and makes assumptions other IDEs may not find logical.

I do see a lot of work going into the blackberry plugin for Creator, so maybe this state of affairs will chance when more people like you and me say to the BB team that Creator is the best choice Smiley Happy

Developer
Developer
My Device: blackberry z10

Id also like to be able to use Qt Creator.

I find eg Momentics doesnt always find errors in moc...builds fine and no error message or warning and then the app just wont run on the device...and unlike Qt Creator theres no "run qmake".

Developer
My Device: Z30, Z10 LE, DevAlpha C, PlayBook

Qt Creator is perfectly usable for Cascades development. I've been using it all the time. It's a bit harder to setup though, this page describes the setup process:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Setting-up-Qt-Creator-for-BlackBerry-and-QNX

I think the reason is that Eclipse is more familiar to Java developers. But I also hope to see Qt Creator as official IDE someday. Maybe we should open a ticket in JIRA and start collecting votes? Smiley Happy

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Developer
Developer

"perfectly" is probably a bit of an exaggeration :-)

Developer
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

[ Edited ]

QNX has a history of contributing to Eclipse. Specifically the CDT plugin (C++). It's what they know.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/whoswho

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Debugging is an issue with the Eclipse plugin, cannot Inspect QStrings, Qlists, or some types like that just basic int/float/boolean no so helpful... QDebug is flaky ... got to get back of good old popping messages and stuff

Debugging in QML ??? no cigar , sometimes you mispell something and compiler just stops or it compiles but it woudln't load to the device ... there is no way to figure out if it is a missing signature in C++ or the QML

I did try to set up Qt creator but didn't manage ...so let it go but it seems like that would help a lot. I'm on a dealine for  a port to BB10 , never used this momentics before

Developer
Developer

Ive recently tried QtCreator (3 pre release) and its come a long way. Makes a very good impression.

You can also test QtCreator ion parallel with still using  Momentics simply by using a different pro file with Creator (eg outside the Momentics project dir) and reference the SOURCE and HEADERS in the Momentics Project. One caveat .. the pro file for  QtCreator shouldntn contain a

CONFIG += cascades10

just omit it (whatever it does for the momentics project...it isnt documented)

Just in case any one is interested

New Developer
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

If u could put a few bulleted pointers it'd be great. I'm using Momentics 10.2 now a bit better with the debugging, still there are issues with the QML that you are blind folded if u stick with only the Momentics. In the past I tried to get Qt Creator going twice with no success pretty cumbersome and in the end it didn't work .... I know it coud be useful but not sure if I want to go thru the whole process over (maybe 3 is a charm) only  to be left empty handed.