Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
bigb2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Why is this so difficult?

Is there going to be public beta, or is this just going to be dropped at some point?  And any idea on when? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
iravelo
My Device: 9700+PB
My Carrier: sfr

[ Edited ]

Tim, thank you for your answer,
coming from java (and already having a good C backgroun), I tend to prefer investing in learning Qt than learning html/css/js + js framework, so BBNDK suits me better.
Hasn't Cascades been made with Qt (fork ) ?

Please let us (or help us) use Qt + Qt's UI components (nokia's is OK) right now; we do not need to patiently wait for cascades beta to built pretty non-game apps : good ideas of apps need to be turned into code asap.
Android ported apps appear quite uggly with their own native android UI; so coding in java is not an acceptabe option when builind apps from scratch like I want to do.

RIM, please make us happier and help or demand  the opensource guys publishing their windows and Macosx Qt creator 2.5 with full PB support very quickly !!

Thanks in advance.

---------<={##}=>---------
I.Ravelo; Renault S.A.S. Corporate BBOS Java Apps Lead Conceptor/Coder; Qt learner
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

bigb2009 wrote:

Is there going to be public beta, or is this just going to be dropped at some point?  And any idea on when? 

Yes, Cascades will be made available as a public beta.  I do know the timelines I just can't give you exact details yet. I can say that we want to ensure that you have months of lead time to work with the SDK leading up to the BB10 device launch.

Trust me, I'd love to give you the date, but I don't want to be the one who let the cat out of the bag :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
tneil

iravelo wrote:

Tim, thank you for your answer,
coming from java (and already having a good C backgroun), I tend to prefer investing in learning Qt than learning html/css/js + js framework, so BBNDK suits me better.
Hasn't Cascades been made with Qt (fork ) ?

Please let us (or help us) use Qt + Qt's UI components (nokia's is OK) right now; we do not need to patiently wait for cascades beta to built pretty non-game apps : good ideas of apps need to be turned into code asap.
Android ported apps appear quite uggly with their own native android UI; so coding in java is not an acceptabe option when builind apps from scratch like I want to do.

RIM, please make us happier and help or demand  the opensource guys publishing their windows and Macosx Qt creator 2.5 with full PB support very quickly !!

Thanks in advance.

Hi iravelo,

On BB10 we are including QT based APIs as part of the OS.  Also our BlackBerry system APIs that you have used in the past in Java have been moved to C++ libraries that have the same development patterns as QT to make sure things follow the same familiar QT pattern (signals/slots etc).

The existing QT UI components will likely look as foreign as the Android controls do on the plaform. This is why we have added our own flavor and addions to the QML format for QT.  QML is what the Cascades UI engine uses to render the UI.

Are you having specific problems with the exiting QT port available in github? I can try and bring them back to the team to see if they are known issues or items that are being worked on.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
iravelo

Tim,

The big big problem is that the pb qt port cloned from github cannot be compiled from windows, i have to retry that on another machine to be sure.

And when I try to use binaries compiled on linux, then I cannot find windows qmake exe in the stage/ folder in there.

Tks for caring about us windows devs.

I.Ravelo; Renault S.A.S. Corporate BBOS Java Apps Lead Conceptor/Coder; Qt learner
Please use plain text.
tneil

Ok.. let me see if I can get someone to take a look at it...

I'm a Windows guy too :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Out of curiosity - why do you need to run qmake on Windows. NDK will take care of making the project.
Please use plain text.
Developer
iravelo

Qmake needed as i try to follow this great tuto :
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-SDK-for-BlackBerry-Tablet/How-to-buid-sign-and-deploy-...
Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

This great tuto has nothing to do with NDK, it is just another way to develp Qt apps for Playbook. Now I am curious whether RIM is going to abandon NDK and move Qt related development to Qt Creator...
Regardless... QT SDK has its own qmake that runs perfectly well on Windows and do not see a reason why you can't use this one instead of the once compiled from Qt sources downloaded from Github. qmake is just an utility that invoke other tools according to set of rules described in .pro file.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

tneil wrote:

Hi iravelo,

On BB10 we are including QT based APIs as part of the OS.  

The existing QT UI components will likely look as foreign as the Android controls do on the plaform. This is why we have added our own flavor and addions to the QML format for QT.  QML is what the Cascades UI engine uses to render the UI.

Nice!

I figured cascades was just a set of pb qml components....  I wonder if they are utilizing Qt Quick 2.2

Do you know if Qt5 is going to have the bb port too?

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.