Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
FedericoTech
My Device: Blackberry 10, blackberry java

avoid the confirmation dialog at update of any UserProfile property

Hi all

i'm developing an application that publishes the use that user makes of it, through UserProfile PersonalMessage.

the problem that i have with this, is that appears a confirmation dialog at update of personal message and i want that my app can update it automaticly, without that dialog.

does it exist some permission for no appears the dialog or only appears the first time?

Thanks

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: avoid the confirmation dialog at update of any UserProfile property

It seems you're talking about BBM here?

There's no API to do what you want, at least on BB10.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
sgallego84
My Device: BB Z10

The question here is,

Is it the desired behavior? Someone from Blackberry can tell us if the confirmation dialog must appear every time we call requestUpdatePersonalMessage?

I think it will be useful to add a 'remember my decision' checkbox the first time the dialog appears... 

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Desired by whom? Not by us as developers, in some cases, but it is the behaviour desired for now by BlackBerry. You might want to file a Feature Request in Jira (the developer issue tracker) if you want a "remember decision" checkbox... but check in case there's already one there.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
sgallego84
My Device: BB Z10

We have received an official response from Blackberry by other way. This is their response:

------

Today there isn’t a way for an application to bypass that dialog prompt when updating a user’s BBM status.  It’s there for a couple reasons:

Privacy – Make sure the user is aware of any update an application posts on its behalf.
Throttling – We want to avoid the situation where applications spam other BBM contacts with too many profile updates.

The BBM team is looking at ways to change this in the future.  But it won’t be changed in 10.2

------

Finally, we have decided the status is not updated automatically, but we have added an ActionItem allowing the user to update his status when he want.