Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
kamal_nigam
My Device: Blackberry 10

background app in cascades or can we have multiple entery in like we have in BB Java

How to create background app in cascades or can we have multiple entery in like we have in BB Java

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press the Accept as solution Button when u got the Solution
Press Kudo to say thank to developer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: background app in cascades or can we have multiple entery in like we have in BB Java

Services/background apps cannot be done yet. Apps cannot run without a window/screen/UI open and available to the user. There's no published timeframe for enabling that for third-party apps either.

There is no direct support for multiple entries in a package like that, but you could possibly make use of the Push support (requiring you to support a server-side component as well), and the Invocation Framework has some features that are useful in this area as well.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Re: background app in cascades or can we have multiple entery in like we have in BB Java

[ Edited ]

As Peter said the only way (but only for specific kind of apps) is to use PUSH (BES or BIS).

If you need an app that let's say retrieves weather data, the data can be pushed by server and (still need to check that) app can be started or at least notification is fired that can start your app.

I've checked Invocation API but only running app can start another app.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

soaman, I mentioned Invocation because I had understood that the Push stuff actually used Invocation to launch your app, which would then be a "receiver". I might have misunderstood that... haven't gotten to invocation or push stuff yet myself.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

It may be possible.

Unfortunatelly I couldn't find anything more about it. Only how to developed app that registers and app that invokes. The later one bothers me :-(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development