Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
pfluger
My Device: Q10, Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

bb::system::SystemUiModality::Global permissions?

The SDK docs state that elevated permissions are needed to use the bb::system::smileyfrustrated:ystemUiModality::Global flag (i.e. for SystemToasts etc)

Are these permissions a simple flag we set in the .bar file or do they have to be granted by RIM? If so, is there a process to get access to these permissions?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: bb::system::SystemUiModality::Global permissions?

It's possible that at least currently you don't need said permissions. Have you tried it?

All the documented supported permissions are listed in this page, but I don't see anything for that: http://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/bb10/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.devguide/com.qnx.do...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Royster86
My Device: 9360, P'9981, Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone, Virgin

I'm having the same issue with using global dialogs.

This used to work without any special permissions - however towards the gold build, this has changed as I can no longer use the Global modality.

I can't find any special permissions to allow this however - I've tried in the C++ and QML examples to set the modality to global, and this also no longer works in the examples.

Seems to be related to the OS version, not the SDK as I managed to build with the latest SDK and test on an older dev alpha with success.

I might actually go through all permissions one by one and add them to see if I can get it working - its about the only thing I haven't tried - but I can't find any documentation anywhere.

I have also submitted a bug report to the developer issue tracker early Jan but it hasn't even been reviewed yet...
Please use plain text.
Developer
Royster86

FYI, the bug report is up at https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-669 - please vote for it if you are interested (seems like nothing has been done in over 4 weeks on it).

It would be nice if RIM could confirm this as an actual problem, or whether the method of obtaining the Global modality has changed.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Royster86

Hi, I believe I have found a workaround - you can use the NotificationDialog again (this requires the post_notification permission).

I suspect Dialog modality may be in the process of being removed and replace by NotificationDialog for the simple reason of permissions to allow the app to pop up a dialog outside of the app itself, using the notification engine.

I have asked for the docs to be updated to reflect that Global no longer seems to work and to link developers to the NotificationDialog object instead :smileyhappy:

An added bonus with using NotificationDialog is that you can tie it into the LED, Hub notifications, etc. if you choose to do so.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Just want to say thank you for sharing the solution.

The documentation is still not updated so i ran into the same problem. This thread saved my day.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
nothingkill
My Device: z10
My Carrier: cmcc

The problem is that NotificationDialog can not cover the phone-app while calling

I hope the global SystemToast works,but i can't find any clues.

Please use plain text.