Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
arachide
My Carrier: china mobile

confuse about cascades QT and native dev

I am familliar with html/js and QT.

Just wonder, if I develope the native app, which one do I need to select

cascades/qt or qnx native?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Developer
vladest
My Carrier: Kievstar

Re: confuse about cascades QT and native dev

its depends on your targets

Cascades currently available only for BB10. this means no PlayBook support (yet) and other OSes (ever)

Qt/Symbian/Meego/BB10/Cascades developer
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
mwoolley
My Carrier: Vodafone

If your target is a native app for BlackBerry 10 then you should use Cascades with Qt and C++ unless you have a very good reason not to. Cascades with Qt is the option which makes it easiest to develop great looking applications. 

Take a look at https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/ for an introduction to Cascades.

Also, take a look at the numerous sample Cascades apps in github as I think this will help you decide.

https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Samples/wiki

https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Community-Samples

I'd use C/C++ (without QML) and with the Blackberry Platform Services if I was writing something like a high performance game with OpenGL or something like that.... otherwise it's Cascades every time for me :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Please use plain text.
Developer
d3v3l0p3r
My Carrier: Carrier

This looks confusing but is actually quite simple.

Native SDK is the underlying platform for both options. You simply write C++ application. Hovewer if you go just with Native you have to write your own presentation in C++ which #1) is not that easy and #2) will not guarantee your app has native look and feel.

For this reason RIM introduced Cascades framework. Its really a framework on top of C++ native SDK. It uses QT under the hood but provides BlackBerry specific UI controls which give you native BlackBerry experience.

Cascades includes QML (declarative method for constructing UI - sort of like HTML just on steroids) with ability to run JavaScript code and integration with your C++ application. You can construct QML elements from C++ or you can create QML elements in QML and access them from C++. Also from QML you can call C++ functions and use C++ objects. 

You can develop an app only in QML without writing line of code in C++ (the main function will still be there and it is still technically C++ application, you just dont need to write any C++ code- all presentation and logic is in QML) or you can develop an app using C++ and declaring all QML elements in C++ without writing single QML line. 

Most likely you will do both (most screens will be in QML with some in C++ with most business logic in C++)

Hope this helps

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Please use plain text.