Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
Paratheo
My Device: Z30

gfycat links not working in WebView

It seems that gfycat link will not work properly in the BB10 webview component, but they do work properly in the regular browser. Gfycat is a site that converts gifs into html5 video for faster viewing and compression. Any gfycat link will merely try to play an html5 video, which in theory should be supported by the Webview component since the webview supports html5 (ex. youtube) since 10.1. 

Try this link for example:

http://gfycat.com/ColorlessDependableIrishwaterspaniel#

When opened in a WebView, the page displays like so, and the image is still. It seems like some of the web code wasn't interpeted correctly since it is being shown at the top.

gfycat.png

Suprisingly, i havn't found anything on the internet about gfycat not working in the BB10 webview. For that reason I am posting here. Perhaps someone knows why it isnt working?

Regarding a solution, the temporary one is to append to the following to the end of any gfycat url. This will automatically load the gfycat link as the original gif instead of the converted html5. 

?format=gif

Of course, I would love to find a way to load the actual html5 video since this is the point of gfycat. Webview does support html5 but it is not working properly in the BB10 webview component. Perhaps there is a way to extract the html5 video link from the page and send that straight into a mediaplayer invocation?

Thanks!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: gfycat links not working in WebView

I'm seeing the same behaviour you describe in BlackBerry OS 10.2.1.  I also tried it on 10.3, which did work correctly.  The script wasn't shown and the video does play on 10.3.

Using the GIF link is likely the best option until 10.3 is available.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker