Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
mmd12
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10

keystore author.p12 password

I have been doing app development with the NDK on my desktop (Win7).

I decided to download the NDK to my laptop for flexibility, back up, etc.

Everything seems to have gone well.  I copied the three files associated with the signing keys, barsigner, author and barsigner.csk from the desktop to the laptop's user\appdata\local\Research In Motion directory.

It seems I can compile and export a device release copy.  When I try to download and run on the Playbook in debug mode it seems to work until I get a prompt:

Please enter the password for keystore author.p12

I don't recall ever setting this password.  I have tried all of the passwords I have ever associated with Blackberry, all kept in a separate notebook just for developing apps.

My questions:

Is there anything I can do to solve this other than requesting new keys?

If I need new keys will this cause problems for the cutomers that have already purchased my app?  If so, is there anything I can do to mitigate the problems for them?

I downloaded the BB10 SDK, but haven't used it yet.  Will I have the same problem if I fire it up? (It's on the Desktop).

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, ideas, etc.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: keystore author.p12 password

You set that password when you register your BlackBerry Code Signing keys.  The password for your code signing keys and author.p12 should be the same.  If you used the NDK wizard to setup your keys it'll use the same password for both.  If you created them individually they could be different, but we don't recommend doing that.  

You can delete and recreate your author.p12 file without issue.  But if you use new BlackBerry code signing keys you'll have these issues:  Error "File bundle (your_name) has been rejected." When Uploading BAR File to App World

You can have Eclipse remember your passwords for you.  If the NDK on your desktop isn't prompting you that's likely what you did.  I'm not sure if it provides a way to view saved passwords or not, but may be something you can look into as well.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
mmd12
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

I went ahead and got new keys just for the laptop for now and when I registered I noticed the keystore password. 

Oh, and I wrote it down in my little book.

I'm working through my strategy of what to do if I can't use the keys on my desktop going forward.  I'll have to research a little to understand the implications if I make the change.

If there is a way to see the password on Eclipse, that would solve everything.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
anuragsoni
My Device: 9800

I have deleted my  author.p12, barsigner.csk and barsigner.db files by mistake, and have not taken any backup of those file, now while I have requested for new key and signed the apps, at the time of loading it showing error.

Could you please help me out is there any solution
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

What error are you getting and where are you trying to load the files? If you are trying to load them to the vendor portal you'll have to get them to reset your applications so that you can upload them with the signature from the new key.
Please use plain text.
anuragsoni
My Device: 9800

Please help out to reset the application 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

You have to email vendor support using the form and ask them to reset it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sahero1996
My Device: 9790

please i need keystore author.p12 i put everpassword i have used in my life nothing is working what to do ? using native sdk 10.2 with offical release 

Please use plain text.