Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Various
Accepted Solution

libQtMobilitySimulator not available

Hi,

I can build and run an app that uses accelerometer on the actual device. .PRO file has CONFIG += mobility

and MOBILITY += sensors

Trying to simply build and run the app for the simulator produce the error about missing QtMobilitysimulator library.

I understand that accelerometer is useless on the simulator, but I would still like to build and run the app on the simulator for testing purposes. 

Right now - that is impossible.

Am I missing something or - there is nothing that can be done except create two different build (with and without mobility libraries in).

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile DE

Re: libQtMobilitySimulator not available

are you aware of the simulator controller where you can set (fake) the orientation of the device: Check this blog post: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/07/simulator-controller/
Developer

I was not aware of it and I cannot find it withiin my SDK. Where would it be located?

More importantly ...

The problem we are having is building the app, not simulating sensors.

We cannot build the app at all for the simulator as soon as the parameters I outlined are set. Same works fine on a device.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile DE

[ Edited ]

As for the controller please refer to: https://developer.blackberry.com/develop/simulator/simulator_controller.html

As for building for the simulator without sensor support I addressed the question to our internal teams. Will update it you in short.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telstra LTE

If you don't actually want to test the sensors on the simulator, you can use conditionals on that code.

So, if it's simulator, don't add sensors :smileyhappy:

Developer

@klajili - Thank you for letting us know about the Controller app. When one installs the SDK on OSX - a link to the IDE and Simulator vmware files are created. I wonder why not a link to the "controller" app. That's why I missed it actually.

Btw. there is no need to browse the .vmware file to get to the controller (at least on OSX)

For anyone looking for a controller on OSX - it is located in the same folder as your ORIGINAL .vmware file for the simulator. You may be clicking on a link that was created during the install - you have to right click on it, show original and you will find the "controller" folder in there.

@xsacha - I am aware that I could use the conditionals to create a different build. In my original post I asked if I have to use a different build or if there was a way to actually solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Since there is a controller app - I now see that it possible to simulate a whole range of sensors within the simulator which is great, but - unusible unless I can link the QtMobilitySimlator library so hopefully @klajili will be able to provide an answer on how to build.

Thanks.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Well Simulator is going to be a separate build anyway (since it's x86) so the conditions won't change anything there unless your app depends on it.

But if you want to test the sensors, QtMobilitySimulator is not what you'd want to use as it assumes you have no sensors (and it is designed for Qt Simulator which we don't use), So you would want to use just the normal sensor includes.

Developer

What are the "normal" sensor includes and, more importantly, why are the ones we use "abnormal"?

Could you please elaborate - I seem to be missing something important here.

Thanks.

Developer

QtMobilitySimulator is for a Qt Simulator. There is no Qt Simulator for Blackberry.

Use the includes you use for the ARM release. Just QtMobility.

Developer

I think we are talking about different things. Include headers are one thing, linking libraries are another. I am talking about libraries being linked here. This is autmatically selected based on your .pro configuration (among other things).