Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10
My Carrier: Platinumtel

Re: playbook 2, is possible?

I find desktop development perfectly fine in general, I'm just curious whether on-device development could be done.  I'm not going to spend any time trying to get this working myself, but if someone else were to put together a nice clean solution I would probably use it.

----------------
WIP game: Melodaeum
My graphically bland but very useful Morse Code trainer: Speed CW
My graphically attractive but boring game: The Rainstorm
Developer

Also, for the terminal app, I'm not aware of any that enable you to issue commands for theplaybook itself.  I have seen some ssh and telnet apps that allow you to connect to a remote server.

Is there really an app that will give me a command prompt to issue QNX commands for the playbook, on the playbook?

----------------
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

If you don't want to use simulator just don't use it. I did not get how developing on playbook related to use or no use of simulator.

From ease of development it is transparent - you press run in IDE on desktop and it just launches on device.

You don't have to push bar file to device every time, you just do an incremental updates (just binary for example).

There are tons of ways doing way - in IDE in Upload tab of launch config, in Target File System Navigator, using QNX File Tranfer Launch Configuration and finally in command line using blackberry-deploy or ssh (all of this works only if app deployed in app development mode)

Developer
My Carrier: x

>Also, for the terminal app, I'm not aware of any that enable you to issue commands for theplaybook itself.  I have seen some ssh and telnet apps that allow you to connect to a remote server.

I submitted one last Sunday -)

Not sure if it'll be approved though -\

Developer
My Carrier: x

>You don't have to push bar file to device every time, you just do an incremental updates (just binary for example).

There are tons of ways doing way - in IDE in Upload tab of launch config, 

Thanks Elena! indeed there is a wonderful Upload tab which can do a trick. I wish I read all NDK documentation earlier -(

Developer

My favorite trick of all during development is to put parameters in a file in the shared directory on the playbook.  When you need to adjust parameters, you just change them in that file, save, and run the app again (or re-load the file while the app is running).  Fine tuning parameters happens at ludicrous speed.

What I mean by parameters is things like player movement speed in a game, or how many points some object gives you.  It could also be window sizes, animation speeds, etc.

Just be sure to change all the file paths to your app sandbox before release.

----------------
Trusted Contributor
My Device: dev alpha playbook 9500 8300
My Carrier: uc

tiny and amazing