Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: none

playbook development path??

HI-  i'm an experienced SW developer but new at blackberry.   i downloaded all the native/cascades tools & libraries for BB10.   i have a blackberry playbook to develop on.   so i go through all the setup steps, get a debug token loaded onto my device, and find my sample app won't deploy to the playbook because it is running OS version 2.X and BB10 is of course 10.X.   all else seems to be okay. the app deploys to to the simulator and runs OK.

running the 'find new SDK' wizard returns no new SDKs, or older ones either.

looking through the developer website, i see no developer resources specific to the playbook.   i found several posts saying that BB10 will be available for the playbook sometime after the phones are released in february.   so my question of course is how to develop apps for playbook today, without waiting another two months for BB!0 for playbook to be released.  

thanks!

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook
My Carrier: Three

Re: playbook development path??

Hi Strgezer,

It depends on the flavor of development you prefere, here are some links to the playbook SDK's.

Native:
http://developer.blackberry.com/native/download/#playbook

Webworks:
https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/download/#playbook

Adobe Air:

https://developer.blackberry.com/air/download/#playbook

regards

Daniel - Neurocode
If my posts help, please click the Like button.

gymChronicles - helping you to keep motivated
Contributor

I prefer to do native development.   the link you provided for native development just takes me back to the BB10 download page.   i've downloaded all of the things i need there, but the tools wont allow me to connect to the playbook i have.  i can connect to the playbook and install debug tokens, but when trying to deploy the app  it complains about an OS mismatch.    

my assumption at this point is that i need a different SDK for the playbook, as the OS version for the one i have, which i just updated, is 2.x, where for the BB phone devices it is 10.x.      eclipse points to the installed 10.x SDK, but i dont see where i can download an SDK that will work for the playbook.   

as a related question, is it possible to devleop and publish a 'universal' app, that is one that will work for both playbook and BB phones?   form the information i have available to me it would appear to need a separate development path and binaries for playbook and BB phone.   

Developer

strgezer,

Clicking the link for native takes my browser, specifically to the playbook 2.1 native sdk download.....

And you are correct, at this moment in time you need to develop seperatly for playbook & BB10, although porting a native app from playbook to BB10 should be straight forward.

regards

Daniel - Neurocode

Contributor

thanks, that worked.   i must have fat-fingered in somehow when i tried it at first.    i install the SDK, then bring up eclipse.   it finds the newly-installed SDK.   i open a new workspace targeted at the playbook.  

it can't seem to find the debug token for the playbook.  when i go to the 'general' tab, and the 'author information' area, then click on 'set from debug token' it cant find it.   so delete the debug token from the device, and run the setup wizard again.   install new debug token.  now it works.

i click file-> new project-blackberry project, select  'cascades',  then 'empty project'.   when i try to build, i get this error:

make: *** No rule to make target `mk/cs-base.mk'.  Stop.

there is a rule in the makefile about this.   seems kinda wierd the project template would have errors in it, so i'm at a loss what to do next.

Developer

You will get an error choosing cascades for playbook developement, since cascades is only available on BB10.

Playbook is slated to get BB10 in the future, until then, you will need to find another way to produce a UI on the playbook.  I think others have opted to use air and some have managed to get Qt apps running on the device (i think).

regards

Daniel - Neurocode