Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: BB 9850 touch only 7.0
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

porting existing BB 7 apps to BB 10?

I am new to BB and have worked on building an app using SDK 7. Is it possible to port BB 7 apps to BB 10? 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: porting existing BB 7 apps to BB 10?

Not directly, if "SDK7" implies Java and not WebWorks. You'd have to rewrite them in some fashion. It's possible to "port" any code, from any language to another, technically, but I think you mean is there a way of avoiding rewriting your code somehow. The answer is no.

Options include using the Android runtime, which would at least let you preserve some of the Java code (but none of the UI-related code), or migrating entirely away from Java and using either WebWorks or the new native Cascades framework.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

welcome to the support forums.

there is a series on the dev blog http://devblog.blackberry.com/ about porting to bb10.
You could also check out the bb jam sessions about it, on the bb jam europe i talked on jam313 about moving from java to cascades.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor
My Device: BB 9850 touch only 7.0
My Carrier: Airtel

Thanks for the blog link, Simon. Will go through the series. I also got hold of the jam313 video