Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
danielatgrayfin
My Device: Playbook

simulator limitations

With all the  encouragement from RIM about porting apps lately, i thought it would be agood idea to port our PB game to BB10. ( Acceler8 )

I have my app compiling and running with little effort, but unfortunately, have no way of  verifying that it actually works correctly. It seems the simulator does not support MTOUCH screen events, and i can't find any documentaion on the POINTER events that it instead supports (not helped by the fact that when searching the developer site, all the links in the results now seem to be broken). Becuase of this, i can not test any user input. (So stuck on my title screen :smileyhappy: )

In addition, even if the touch/pointer input worked, the game user accelerometer controls, which i can't simulate either.

I'd love to be able to port the game, but don't really see how I can be sure that it even works correctly. It seems to be the only way to obtain an actual hardware device is to port 5+ games in the latest port-a-thon, which is all very well if you have 5 games, and you're happy to submit them without verifying they actually function.

KInd of at a loss on how to proceed at this point... I guess could assume that since it works on PB, and appears to run (up to a point) in the simulator that it will be just fine on BB10, but i'd rather not leave so much to blind-hope.

How are are other developers handling this problem?

ps. sorry if this post comes across as rant-y, just a little frustrated(!) :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Re: simulator limitations

I was fortunate enough to get one of the BB app support people here to try my app on a DEV device.

Turns out that the dev devices don't support the sensor that I use, so it didn't run (it ran fine on the simulator). Luckily, he was able to load it onto a production unit and it worked fine.

I think a lot of people are in this boat. Release an app for OS 10 without actually having run it on a device. It may fail the screening, but you may not know why. It may pass the screening but not actually be doing what you intend simply because the screener doesn't know what it is supposed to do either.

I think we're risking a lot of negative reviews when people actually get OS10 units and things go wrong.

Even my app now: do I release it knowing that anyone that tries to run it on a DEV device will fail and risk the negative reviews, or do I wait until production units are released? If I put a disclaimaer in, warning the DEV users, no one will download it until production anyway.

A beta OS10 for PB would help a lot. At least we have these devices in hand and can try things out within the limitations of the PB sensors and screen.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

You're correct, we do pass all events to the application as POINTER events in the simulator.  I would recommend that you support both MTOUCH and POINTER events in your application since the you can pair a Bluetooth mouse with BB10 and users may want to use you're application that way. 

Take a quick look at the below link to set this up in your main loop, hopefully it helps. 

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/playbook/good_citizen_main_loop_1984571_11.html

With regards to using accelerometer, you can try out the simulator controller.  You can rotate your simulator about the x, y, and z axis if needed and use other sensors such as proximity, luminance, GPS, etc... 

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/develop/simulator/simulator_controller.html

Hope this helps!  Feel free to let me know if you run into any other problems. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt
My Device: Z10, Playbook

The controller does NOT work properly for the gyro (rotation):

1) The smallest movement of the slider or wheel results in a huge reading by the gyro. Rotatingthe controller wheel at 1 rev/sec should result in a reading of 2*pi but thats not what I get.

2) Worse: moving the Y axis on the controller results in z axis readings. (moving the z axis on the controller also results in z sensor readings).

If BB would publish the API for the simulator controller interface, I'm sure someone here would create a controller that provide much more functionality than the one provided.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

I confirmed both point 1) and 2) internally and I'm going to make sure both are fixed right away so it will be patched in the next release.  My apologies for the inconvenience that this caused.

On a side note, we are in the process of redesigning the controller to make it more user friendly.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danielatgrayfin
My Device: Playbook

Did this ever get fixed? the orientation stuff still seems broken in the simulator :smileysad:
Please use plain text.