Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
dtater
My Device: 9700 | 9900 | PlayBook | Dev Alpha
Accepted Solution

the basics of camera API and when to call camera_confing_flash / camera_config_videolight

I searched this board for any information about the structure of the camera API, but other than the hello (Video) Camera apps examples in the community repos, i can't find anything. i did find one reference to a BlackBerry world session - Introduction to the Native C Camera API / DEV179 I'd really appreciate a recording or slide deck or something from that presentation, but if that's not available, can somebody tell me the *general* outline for getting the camera working? Right now, it appears that the cascaddes document is parsed / setup, the foreign window is hooked to the camera, then the camera is opened, then the viewfinder is setup and opened and then the camera can record. can anybody comment on this? thanks for your time!
- - - - - - - - - -
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Re: the basics of camera API and when to call camera_confing_flash / camera_config_videolight

Did you see this blog post?

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/07/camera-api/

There may be some differences between the PB and BB10 API's, I think they are out of sync at the moment.

I don't think the DevCon/BBJam/BBWorld presentations are publicly available - you need to have attended a DevCon, BBJam or BBWorld conference to access the recordings. Don't ask me why, it's strange I know. 

Perhaps Sean McVeigh can help you out, he's always eager to help.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
dtater

Re: the basics of camera API and when to call camera_confing_flash / camera_config_videolight

I saw that post... and it told me very little. I was a bbJam attendee. where can i go to get access to the presentations?
- - - - - - - - - -
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sucroid
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Start here

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Please use plain text.
Developer
dtater

[ Edited ]

Thanks! I wane to BB Jam 10 *world tour* not the actual event in Orlando, so that registration was closed to me. I was able to make an account for the Dev Con, though... i did find some very useful videos, but not the actual DEV179 that i was looking for. Oh well, thanks anyways!

EDIT1:

registration is free, and on the left side of the page, just click the BB Jam link and it'll load up the BB jam talks. 

Fantastic!  i found the video i was looking for about about 20 others that i think i'll find useful!

THANKS A BUNCH.  I'll mark post as the solution.

here's the link anybody else needs:

http://blackberrydevcon.eventmystro.com/?reason=DecryptionError&exitURL=http%3A%2F%2Fblackberrydevco...

- - - - - - - - - -
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sucroid

What would you like to know?

At the moment, I'm banging my head against the camapi on the Native SDK without the Cascades stuff.  :smileyvery-happy:  I don't want to deal with two unknowns at the same time.  Cascades + Camera seem to be a bit magical.  

I think it's important to master using foreign windows in some other contexts before dealing with the camera.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Please use plain text.
Developer
dtater

I agree!  I had hacked the HelloVideoCamera app into doing what i wanted, but when i l changed something, *everything* broke.  I fixed everything except the one thing that i wanted to do is no longer working.

since i was just playing around, this was on a machine with no versioning control, so my orig working code is lost :smileysad:

Oh well.

- - - - - - - - - -
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sucroid

I feel your pain.  I have done that sort of thing many times.  But this just means I don't understand what's going on. :smileysad:

I think for something as complicated as Cascades with ForeignWindow, complete understanding is required.

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Please use plain text.
Developer
dtater

I agree 110%!! Thats why I'm going through the cascades fundamentals and the examples as well as all the videos I downloaded. Every time I read over the code, a little bit more startrs to make sense to me.

Here's to hoping we both get our stuff up and running!
- - - - - - - - - -
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer

Let me know your specific questions and what problems you're having.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.