Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

the right stream format for Z10

i am currently dveloping an app for a tv station and in the menunI would love to include the stream button. So, wich is the right format for streaming that will work ok? thank you in advance.
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: the right stream format for Z10

Hi @vladburac,

You should make sure that the media is encoded with the supported codecs, in a container that is supported and is served by one of the streaming protocols supported. Basically, you would have a URL which needs to be passed to the multimedia platform (through the media player card app or through your own media viewer built using the API).

These should be documented in our developer micro sites.

For example:

* Supported streaming protocols:

* Supported codecs/containers:

For streaming protocol, HLS v3.0 is recommended but there might be some issues on some in-market OS versions, on some of the devices (when the platform tries to change the adaptive bitrate). The recommended codecs/containers are listed in the documentation link.

This should give you an overview of what is supported and what is not. However, the best and the quickest way would be to actually try out the stream directly. You can simply copy/paste the URL to the browser or invoke the Media Player card using the invocation framework: https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/device_platform/invocation/media_player.html

For your Cascades app, you may even be able to get away just by using the Media Player card app; this will just slide in from the right like any other Page in your app. But you won't be able to modify the UI of that page. Hence, for the best in-class media viewer experience of your app, you should try to make your own media player screen by modelling after the core media player apps (so that you can add your custom controls like "Like" or "Favourite" as needed). They all use the same underlying platform.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Orange

Re: the right stream format for Z10

thank you sir!