Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Re: trouble running singed app

No reason to be sorry -) good that it is resolved for you.

Though you've asked very interesting question - how do I access logs of the app downloaded from AppWorld, the only answer I can find - you can't. Anybody has different opinion?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

No, he was right about signed apps and logs, and my suggestion wasn't helpful in that respect. With signed apps, the sandbox prevents all outside access (for now at least) and the logs are deleted when (just before) the app is launched the next time so there's no way to get them out except while the app is running.

If you add in some sort of wrapper code around the main part of your app, you could copy the log file to the shared/ folder upon termination... I've done this before, copying to shared/misc/app-folder-name.

I've heard rumours of a future capability that would improve on this situation, but it will take special OS support to make it happen. Presumably the OS could offer a facility to allow users to upload logs (and core files?) to the developer in some manner. Big privacy concerns there of course, but then again you're already trusting a developer with whatever data you put into the app, given that internet access is not a restricted permission for now. Anyway that's not even remotely an option for us yet so not a concern.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Thanks for confirming Peter, so basically log (without additional logic to put data in shared place) are only useful when you are creating/debugging your app.