Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10(Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: MY COMPANY

want to DLNA support in my app.

I want to DLNA support in my app so there is any api related to support DLNA media server.

Thanks,

Ankur

Developer

Re: want to DLNA support in my app.

any suggestion plz.?

Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

If you mean you want your app to be a DLNA client, then the answer is no, there is no built-in support in Cascades. You will have to roll your own or compile a third-party library yourself. There is some suggestion that an API might become available in a future OS release, but nothing official from BlackBerry.

As you probably know, BB10 DOES have a DLNA server built in.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer

my app playing video using from internet and now i want to play this videos on TV using DLNA.

so, plz suggested me how i can do it ...

Thanks

Ankur

Developer

I thought that was what you were looking to do. As I said in my earlier post, there in no built-in DLNA client API in Blackberry 10. Your only options are to find and compile a third-party (and maybe open-source) library, or roll your own solution from scratch.

Here is an open-source player for Android written in Java. You can't use this code directly with BlackBerry 10, but if you study how they implemented their player it should show you what you need to do in C++ to write your own DLNA client code.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer

Thanks a lot..

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

You may have luck porting an open source library like libupnp (http://pupnp.sourceforge.net/) to let your app act as a media server.

The device already has DLNA client and server capabilities through the Media Player app though. What are you trying to do that's not covered by that? Might be worth a feature request if you have a good use case. DIT

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
Developer

@PBernhardt... the OP made it clear a few posts ago that they are looking to act as a DLNA client, not a server.

Also, with respect, I would love to know what you are talking about regarding DLNA client  features on BB10 devices. I've had mine for about eight months and I have never found a way other than purchased apps to play from a DLNA server on my device. I have my entire music collection on PS3MediaServer, but I can't access it from my Z10.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Ah, I definitely got the impression he was looking to create a DLNA server to serve some sort of content to a TV.

And you're right, it doesn't have DLNA client support. I'd never tried it. I must have been thinking of being able to stream media content from UPnP devices if you happen to know the magic address that gets created. Nothing on the device lets you figure that out though, or lets you navigate the DLNA menus and such.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
Developer

Yes, that's what I thought. There are a few DLNA client apps available in BB World, and it looks like the OP wants to create another one.

PBernhardt wrote:

Ah, I definitely got the impression he was looking to create a DLNA server to serve some sort of content to a TV.

And you're right, it doesn't have DLNA client support. I'd never tried it. I must have been thinking of being able to stream media content from UPnP devices if you happen to know the magic address that gets created. Nothing on the device lets you figure that out though, or lets you navigate the DLNA menus and such.