Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
iravelo
My Device: 9700+PB
My Carrier: sfr

what is the appropriate linux distro for me to use ?

Hi all,

If ever I will be forced to use linux to be able to smoothly develop Qt apps for the PB and using the BBNDK ,

which distro would you suggest me ?

my needs are :

- lightning fast to boot (1minute or less) from USB key

- handles out of the box all of my netbook's components (HP 311c netbook with atom, 1G ram only, nvidia ion LE, etc...)

- can run the latest QT SDK and BBNDK CLI and momentics IDE (I suspect could be helpfull in rare occasions) with zero or minimal effort

So, dear linux gurus and hobbyist out there, please suggest me you best solutions. 

Tks in advance ! 

---------<={##}=>---------
I.Ravelo; Renault S.A.S. Corporate BBOS Java Apps Lead Conceptor/Coder; Qt learner
Please use plain text.
New Developer
bigb2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: what is the appropriate linux distro for me to use ?

Lighting fast to boot on an Atom netbook is probably asking a bit much, but I do have Ubuntu running flawlessly on my netbook.   Should'nt have any problems handling the hardware.  I also run Ubuntu on my primary laptop(i7 Samsung), with no issues whatsoever.  I run windows in a virtual machine if I need it. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
iravelo

[ Edited ]

thanks for this fast answer, I know older netbooks can be slow, but I 've never seen any full fledge linux boot as fast as my tuned windows on my netbooks and laptops.

Any other suggestion anyone for a more lightweight distro than ubuntu ?

I.Ravelo; Renault S.A.S. Corporate BBOS Java Apps Lead Conceptor/Coder; Qt learner
Please use plain text.
New Developer
bigb2009

Hmm, as far as my laptop, Linux boot MUCH faster than my Windows 7 install.  I'm typically to desktop in about 15 seconds.   I do have a dual-boot, but can't say that I have gone into the actual window install in probably 6-7 months...

Please use plain text.
Developer
iravelo

Ok, as seen on qt website, no other distro than ubuntu is recommended, so i ve begun to install xubuntu from here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer
The first attemp with ubuntu desktop failed with a mysteriuous permission error, so i run the install once again with xubuntu option, which ended ok.
Please use plain text.
Developer
iravelo

[ Edited ]

:Clap:

here i am again,

and this time i post from firefox in my freshly installed xubuntu Oneiric Ocelot ,

as expected, my wan card is not supported out of the box, so i had to use a wired ethernet connexion for now.

Can anyone help me setup the OS simply  to be able to use my wireless card ?

nOw i can begin to download and install Qt SDK, wish me luck my friends !!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

I wish you had better hardware...

... and luck of course.

Please use plain text.
Developer
iravelo

Qt sdk install now finished.

It said c++ compiler is missing, what a bad surprise that brilliant ubuntu did not come with some adequate compiler for Qt !!!

Some help needed to fix that compiler issue please. Tks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

try

sudo apt-get install gcc

Please use plain text.
New Developer
bigb2009

Ubuntuforums will be a good resource for you...  and no, it wouldn't normally include a compiler, as Ubuntu's main goal is not to be a device platform but a desktop replacement for the average person.  Of course it also makes it very easy to become develop and compile just about anything.  

Please use plain text.