Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
trivedirujuta
My Device: 9800,BB Dev Alpha,z10 limited edition

will Blackberry 10 dev alpha be deactivaed?

Hello,

I have heard that Blackberry dev alpha will be deactivated as soon as the device will be offically launched. So my question is -will it be deactivated soon after 30th jan'13?

Rujuta Trivedi
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

Re: will Blackberry 10 dev alpha be deactivaed?

Good question.

I've heard similar but I don't have many details.  I'd personally like it to work for a few months after the release date such that I (and all the other developers) can get a real BlackBerry 10 device to continue testing with... not to mention use the awesome new device!

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
trivedirujuta
My Device: 9800,BB Dev Alpha,z10 limited edition

Yes, and is it gonna replaced with new hardware?
Rujuta Trivedi
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Developers with Dev Alphas who get a BB10 app into App World prior to launch are supposed to be eligible to receive a "limited edition" version of the all-touch BB10 phone in exchange for the Dev Alpha.

Those who do not finish an app can expect it to be "bricked" at some point, though I don't think anyone has said that would be immediately upon launch. It may be, but they've said nothing either way about that.

I would think, with well over two months from now until launch, just about anyone who qualified for a Dev Alpha in the first place should be able to finish a decent BB10 app by launch, even if it's a fairly simple one.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
jaiaca
My Device: Z10

What about those developers who never got a Dev Alpha but still managed to put up a "decent" BB10 app in App World? I want a limited edition device too :smileysad: lol
Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
www.twocasualcoders.com | never casual on quality
Contributor
Thunderbuck
My Device: PlayBook - 64GB, Bold 9900, Dev Alpha

We definitely know the Dev Alphas will be deactivated, since they already were by mistake with a software bug before Beta 3 dropped (that infamous "Program has ended, thanks for participating" bug).

When? Well, I'd doubt that they will get an update to full BB10 (though we're supposed to get a new beta by the end of November).