Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
jamezam
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

4.5 Update for Verizon Wireless 8830 finally available...

FYI: I choose the option to be notified by e-mail in the Desktop Manager program v4.7, when the BB 4.5 update is available. Yesterday, out of the blue, I received an e-mail stating that the 4.5 update is available, even though Verizon's website still shows the v4.2 update.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 4.5 Update for Verizon Wireless 8830 finally available...

It is only available via the web-based desktop upgrade.

Be sure to backup your device first, using Desktop Manager.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
philhughes
My Device: 8830

Re: Re: 4.5 Update for Verizon Wireless 8830 finally available...

I got the notice yesterday, downloaded it onto my (Verizon) device, and it's working just fine on the 8830. Right now I'm in the process of downloading 4.5 desktop software, because my 4.2 didn't recognize the device - hoping for no glitches - will keep you posted:smileyhappy:
Phil
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
philhughes

Re: Re: 4.5 Update for Verizon Wireless 8830 finally available...

[ Edited ]
Desktop software download complete, first backup complete, first sync w/ Outlook 2003 complete - all is working well so far!
Message Edited by philhughes on 04-19-2009 01:04 PM
Message Edited by philhughes on 04-19-2009 01:05 PM
Phil
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
philhughes

Re: Re: Re: 4.5 Update for Verizon Wireless 8830 finally available...

Downloaded Docs to Go, and it's working great - much simpler than on a Palm, since my teathered device operates as an external drive, and there's no need to be sending docs back & forth fr device to PC & vice versa. Got all the bells & whistles I need to produce my docs. Lovin' it so far:smileyhappy:
Phil
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dr_Romulus

Where would I setup Desktop manager to check for this update?  I want to move up to v4.5 but it still is not listed available at the VZW website...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dr_Romulus

[ Edited ]

I spoke to soon!!  I just logged into the VZW site and it says 4.5 is now available and can be downloaded from the web!

1. What BlackBerry model are you using?
Blackberry 8830

BlackBerry Device Software v4.5 (updated 4/21/2009)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this just sucks.  I updated the BB Manager to the latest version, found the update software section that shows up now...  and it told me that I can't update because I am connected to a BES.

Verizon doesn't have this available on the website yet...  Anyone know when it will show up there?

Message Edited by Dr_Romulus on 04-21-2009 04:39 PM
Please use plain text.
michaellinek

I upgraded my 8830 to v4.5 device software today and am having some problems (i.e. won't open .doc files, Messenger is missing). Everything I've looked at seems to work fine except for these items. Love the Browser and the HTML e-mail.

I do have BES service, which I see now is a no-no for the upgrade. If the BES service is stopping the opening of the .doc files and Messenger, then I'll need to rollback the device software, but I can't seem to find a previous version.

It seems strange though that the install finished without errors and I can get e-mail, but those two things aren't there.

--Mike

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
philhughes

Re: Re: Re: 4.5 Update for Verizon Wireless 8830 finally available...

Couldn't get into application loader, and learned that I shouldn't have loaded 4.5 for my desktop software to match my device OS, but rather the latest desktop software, 4.7. Now Application Loader works. After syncing had some calendar issues - some items are duplicated, others "bleed over" to the next day even though they are for one day only (All Day Events only), but that's fixable - Docs to Go works great, lost my sound somehow, but telephone support took care of me, overall, very pleased.:smileyhappy:
Phil
Please use plain text.