Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8830 WE on verizon questions before purchase

Im starting a job monday that is going to require international travel (thus the reason im getting the 8830, im with Verizon)

Questions:

1. If i dont unlock my phone what do I gain/lose? Why should I do this?
2. If i pop a sim in from another carrier, say vodaphone, will I get a new number, aka a euro specific number?
3. What will be the best way to call back to the states? Id really like to use my cell phone to be able to be able to call home. Would a sim card from euro let me call home? Is prepaid the best way to go so I avoid some huge charges?
4. Will the 8830WE work all over, Ive only seen people who goto europe but i know that Ill be traveling to every continent (spare antartica) will the phone work in all of these places?
5. Im trying my best to stay with verizon as its been very reliable to me or should i switch to a GSM carrier.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, this will be my first blackberry and am looking forward to it!
Contributor

Re: 8830 WE on verizon questions before purchase

netrack wrote:
Im starting a job monday that is going to require international travel (thus the reason im getting the 8830, im with Verizon)

Questions:

1. If i dont unlock my phone what do I gain/lose? Why should I do this?
2. If i pop a sim in from another carrier, say vodaphone, will I get a new number, aka a euro specific number?
3. What will be the best way to call back to the states? Id really like to use my cell phone to be able to be able to call home. Would a sim card from euro let me call home? Is prepaid the best way to go so I avoid some huge charges?
4. Will the 8830WE work all over, Ive only seen people who goto europe but i know that Ill be traveling to every continent (spare antartica) will the phone work in all of these places?
5. Im trying my best to stay with verizon as its been very reliable to me or should i switch to a GSM carrier.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, this will be my first blackberry and am looking forward to it!
1. you wont be able to use other simcards so unlocking you phone is your best bet
2. yes, becouse you are under their subscription
3.  use a prepaid local to where you are at
4. maybe not on the moon. but as long as they have a gsm sim and maybe so realy obscure places rim hasnt thought of yet
5. stay with verizon have the phone unlocked. pop in a local sim

thanks max for the quick reply, do you know if its possible to get blackberry services outside of the US through verizon?

I have a feeling that if I dont unlock then I can get services outside the US but would be forced to pay verizon roaming charges...or I wonder if VZW has an international calling plan, I may have to check into it, but I dont really trust the folks at the VZW store...

Contributor

if you need blackberry services its better to stick with the verizon roaming, the local sim is only good for calls and sms. nothing else.

if you are subscribed to verizon right now just make sure you enable your roaming get your roaming sim from verizon and then just jump to another country and it will all just work (albiet roaming charges) 

well the thought of paying verizon roaming fee's scares me considering its like a dollar per minute....i think i may just stick with the unlocking and buying a local prepaid card that way I know i cant go over the amount of $ i purchased.  Do you know if I call from europe on a local sim to say my wife in the states...when she answers the call will she have to pay long distance charges?
Contributor

thats gonna be really difficult to say, you really have to check the local carrier charges