Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
tiggerama
My Device: Not Specified

8830 Will not charge, shows solid red LED when connected

I plugged my phone in to my wall charger Saturday night as I always do-Sunday morning the phone was dead and would not turn on.  It shows a solid red light on the LED.

I cannot seem to get it to charge.  Briefly, the charging battery icon showed up on the screen, but now it went out.  Just sitting there, every once in a while the LED goes out.

Help, anyone?  I've tried taking out the battery and reinserting both with the phone plugged in and not.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,979
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 8830 Will not charge, shows solid red LED when connected

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage).

If it doesn't boot--try using a wall outlet charger if you are not. If you are connected via USB to the PC, make certain that you have Desktop Manager (or the USB device drivers) installed, which you can download below.

Make certain your USB cable is connected to one of the PC's main rear USB ports. Not a USB hub, nor a monitor USB port, nor a USB port on the front of the PC.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
tiggerama

Thanks for the quick response.  I am charging on a wall charger and already have tried the method you have suggested.  Any other thoughts?  Could it be the physical charging port on the phone?
JSanders

Yes, it could be a damaged USB port, that does happen.

Do you recall if they charging indicator on the battery symbol was displaying at your last charge?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
tiggerama

My boss has the same phone and it seems the charging port has crapped out on hers too...and after reading through some of these posts looks like it's a problem with the phone.

Last charge, everything was dandy, this would have been Friday afternoon.

JSanders

Yep, it is a problem with a few devices. I have read of a spotty reports of bad USB charging ports.

I've never had the issue with mine.

Still though, try as directed above first, to see if you can revive the device.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
countyline9

I had what sounds like the same problem. it was the phone side where you jack in the usb. it was shorting out inside after 2 years of use(ok,i did drop it a few times). i called tech support and they offered a reconditioned unit for $50. i took the offer,i did all the back-up and restore and all was ok. after that just misc things like bluetooth from hands free.
New Contributor
tiggerama

Yes, I believe that is the problem.  My boss has the same phone, same problem.  We're trying to get our Sprint rep to rectify the problem.  What I really can't believe is that I have been disconnected from my Blackberry since Sunday and the world has not stopped turning...
stretch44kf
My Device: 9000

I just had this problem.  I swapped out the battery and all was fine.  Note: it did take a while for the blackberry to boot up after the battery swap.  The boot up is a little black square box with a second hand rotating clockwise.

vgallant
My Device: Curve 9600

I had same problem except I discovered that as long as I did not let the battery fully die, it would charge with no issues. But if it died completely, I would get the red light briefly, it would go out and then lightning bolt on battery would show up but no charge at all.